Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Now it keeps quitting!!! (Read 21 times)
AlisaB
Ex Member

Now it keeps quitting!!!
04/05/04 at 07:05:30

I have about 1,000 on my 2003 Savage.  My husband was out riding yesterday and it just stopped on him.  It was backfiring alot he said.

Last week we had to change the spark plug because it would not start and the plug was totally black on top.  He thinks it is the spark plug again due the fuel being too rich??

I am just learning this stuff so bear with me.  Does this sound normal?  Is there something else we need to be looking at?  He is getting a tool to adjust the intake.

I appreciate any help.

IP Logged
John
Ex Member

Re: Is it the spark plug??
Reply #1 - 04/08/04 at 07:23:59

Hello There

A black sooty plug indicates too rich a fuel mixture for some reason.  Try checking that the air filter is clean & not clogged up.  Cheers John

IP Logged
AlisaB
Ex Member

Now it keeps quitting!!!
Reply #2 - 04/09/04 at 19:30:07

Just an update - I am pretty concerned.  My hubby put in another spark plug.  I tried to go for a ride today and it just quit.  After it quit, we couldn't even get it in neutral and it would not start again.

Fortunately, we are still under warranty and are taking it in to get repaired to a dealer tomorrow.

There was a burn smell right before it quit on me and it backfired quite a bit.  Any ideas on what it could be???

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Re: Now it keeps quitting!!!
Reply #3 - 04/10/04 at 09:20:30

I have a 2001 and it started to do the same thing to me right after I filled it up at the gas station.  My cousin informed me of a vacuum line that runs down to the bottom of the bike that collects crappy gas and overflow gas out of the carb.  I uncapped it, and drained out about a cap full of gas, recapped it, and it ran fine.  Stock Savage's have the tube running into a box at the bottom of the bike; luckily the previous owner of mine removed the box, and left the tube hanging down in easy reach.  I'm a newbie, so maybe this didn't totally confuse anybody. Undecided

IP Logged
Trevor

Reply #4 - 06/27/04 at 18:33:46

I also had this same problem and followed the advice in the previous post. The bike has been running fine since.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 06/28/04 at 14:16:26

Without trying to sound smart, let me ask a question.  Are you sure that you aren't riding with the choke on?

I only ask because others have done that too.

AlisaB wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Just an update - I am pretty concerned.  My hubby put in another spark plug.  I tried to go for a ride today and it just quit.  After it quit, we couldn't even get it in neutral and it would not start again.

Fortunately, we are still under warranty and are taking it in to get repaired to a dealer tomorrow.

There was a burn smell right before it quit on me and it backfired quite a bit.  Any ideas on what it could be???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 05:12:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Now it keeps quitting!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.