Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Concerns - one extreme to another (Read 8 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Re: Concerns - one extreme to another
Reply #15 - 02/18/05 at 13:07:56

i am the single parental unit for eight kids, six are still at home.
i took the msf course last march, and purchased my very first bike in april.
yes i have alot to lose, as do my kids. that's why i always ride safe.
i have health insurance and a life policy. i also always wear protective gear, and do my own bike maintenance.
i also don't worry about what may or may not happen. i live for today because this is the only day i have.
and when it comes down to it, i try to make sure that :
1. i have no regrets.
2. i don't allow anything to cause me to be resentful of my kids, they don't need that.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/18/05 at 13:32:16

A single parent for eight kids????  My respect for you just increased ten fold.  How do you do it?  I want to pull my hair out, and I'm married with 3 kids.  I had no idea.  When I stopped by your house a while back I noticed there were no boys around, please tell me there not all girls.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #17 - 02/18/05 at 15:39:30

As people have pointed out, we all face risks each and every day -- some risks are in our control and lots of risks aren't. Personally, I want to live each day to the fullest and, for me, that includes riding. Only you can decide what makes sense for you.

If you decide to keep riding, I'd encourage you to do everything you can to be safe BUT don't drive yourself so crazy that you don't enjoy the ride. Riding should be exhilarating and enjoyable. Good luck!  Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #18 - 02/18/05 at 16:04:41

I just happened to find the handbook given out when i took the MSF last year and the first thing that is covered is Risk Awareness, Risk Acceptance and Risk Management. Motorcycling can be dangerous but with proper training the risk is greatly reduced. Take the course, pay attention and pratice what they teach. The most important point is that you ride within your abilities and have fun.  Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 02/18/05 at 16:52:08

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
The most important point is that you ride within your abilities and have fun.  Grin

truer words have never been spoken.

that is rule #2 of 2.

rule #1  RIDE AS IF YOU WERE INVISIBLE, THAT, BECAUSE YOU ARE.   Sad

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #20 - 02/18/05 at 17:49:07

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
A single parent for eight kids????  My respect for you just increased ten fold.  How do you do it?  I want to pull my hair out, and I'm married with 3 kids.  I had no idea.  When I stopped by your house a while back I noticed there were no boys around, please tell me there not all girls.

close. seven girls and one boy. he's child number 6, too.
we sort of spoil him, and sort of not. i suppose he will see it as a mixed blessing when he grows up.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 02/18/05 at 17:51:59

Just think of all his sister's friends that he'll have access to.  He'll either be a player, or need psychiatric help. Grin

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #22 - 02/22/05 at 04:01:02

Just think of all his sister's friends that he'll have access to.  He'll either be a player, or need psychiatric help. Grin

I could give him some help with those girls when he grows up, and save you Sunny some real money on shrinks...  Grin

RW

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #23 - 02/22/05 at 09:12:00

HAHAHHAHAHAHA   GOOD ONE

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #24 - 02/22/05 at 21:02:43

I'm a much better driver on my Savage than I am in my Suburban.  After riding a bike in traffic, I've slowed waaaaaay down even in the Sub.  

A few years ago was the first time I ever rode a mortorcycle -- a little Honda XR80.  It spooked me to ride a dirt bike, since I grew up on three wheelers.  But then I bought some bikes and me & the kids started riding on 2 instead of 3.

Then a friend let me ride his HD.  It spooked me to get on a road bike, as the steering was waaaaay different than a dirt bike, especially on a big twin DynaWide Glide.

Then I got a Savage and it spooked me to ride in traffic (legally anyway) in the Dallas-FtWorth metroplex - no such thing as no rush hour here.

It spooked me the first time I took my kids on the Savage.  

It spooked me the first time I got caught in the rain and had to ride in it for 30 minutes to get home.

Oddly enough, it spooked me the first time I rode with a helmet and gloves - felt numb and deaf.  Never had a helmet growing up.

But then again, it spooked me to have kids (5 now), get divorced, remarry, fly in a plane, trust other people, go to church again, and a bunch of other things that the good Lord gave us plenty sense to make it through.

You'll be fine if you keep your head on straight and don't get c0cky with it.  You were designed by your Manufacturer with remarkable adaptability.  

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 13:15:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Concerns - one extreme to another

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.