Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HD Sportster Exhaust (Read 51 times)
koiroy
Ex Member

HD Sportster Exhaust
03/30/04 at 09:14:08

My '86 has a HD muffler on it and it sounds OK. However I have read somewhere that some people have played around with the baffles to get a deeper sound. When I look inside the exit tube of the muffler I see a metal plate well towards the front of the muffler infront of many rows of holes. Is this the type of muffler that can be "tampered with" or is it "like it as it is" condition? Also it is abit short since the tip exits about 1/2 way through the rear wheel and discolours the brake linkage and part of the drum area. I may need to get an extension or something. Any thoughts anybody?  Roy.  Toronto.

IP Logged
Paulsavage

Re: HD Sportster Exhaust
Reply #1 - 04/11/04 at 15:07:48

I have a savage and I am from Brantford Ontario. I too have a HD muffler on mine. I heard from the Harley dealer if i want it louder to take  a heat gun and do circular motions along the inside wall of the muffler. I too want a extension piece for the muffler. Did you do any modifications to the carb or mixture screw? I  still have a slight bit of backfiring and would like to get rid of it.

Paul

IP Logged
koiroy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/17/04 at 09:32:10

Roll EyesI haven't heard of the heating up method before. Only the drilling out of the baffle. I was thinking of getting one of those 24" long by 3 1/2' diam slash cut chrome exhaust tip to extend the exit point of the exhaust. In essence it would become a "slip-on" I"ll let ya know.  Roy, Toronto.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: HD Lowboy Exhaust
Reply #3 - 05/19/04 at 21:58:11

My Harley muffler is now on. It's a 2003 Lowboy muffler pulled from a pal's Harley when he put on some louder pipes.

I took the bike to a muffler shop, (small shop, not a chain store) and they made me an adapter. It's about 6" long, perfect fit on both ends. They put just a bare minimum bend in it. I cut two 3/4" cuts on the intake side so the clamps would do it's thing.

It's perfect. It even matched up to the last hole on the existing bracket.  I just wish it was chrome.  Undecided Cost = $10 cash. Pix will follow.

Right now, I am awaiting some chrome clamps and a chrome guard to cover the zinc.  And also for the moment, I've just got a couple hose clamps holding it tight.

Anyway, it sounds great, has a little bit of that burbling sound, like it's boiling, a much better tone than the OEM putt putt putt pop putt putt putt sound.

Tomorrow... the brass cover over the A/F screw...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
grey-head
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/04 at 17:53:54

The Sporster muffler can be opened-up by putting a 3/4"bar (or something like it) inside the muffler and knocking the slug out of it! Literally.
                    good luck and God bless,
                               -john-

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #5 - 05/22/04 at 18:39:46

grey-head wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
 The Sporster muffler can be opened-up by putting a 3/4"bar (or something like it) inside the muffler and knocking the slug out of it! Literally.
                    good luck and God bless,
                               -john-

That doesn't cause a rattle?  How does it impove the tone? Just louder or lower? I don't care if mines's not that loud, but I really want low throaty tones.

IP Logged
koiroy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/24/04 at 05:06:57

Hi Savage lovers. I just bought a slash cut glass pack from a local used bike shop here in Toronto ($75) great chrome and comes with the needed brass bushings and chrome clamps. Its a fabulous look and with some minor adaptation on the rear mounting bracket area I made a twisted bracket from the supplied chrome metal also . It sits nicely along the bikes OEM mounting rail. The sound is fantastic with the exteme low burble we all want. Very little backfire. Just a minor one when going from 2nd gear to 3rd. I don't know why that is. I am thrilled with it. A nice picture to come Grin
The best part is it directs the gasses away from the rear brake linkage and drum which was the main problem with the HD Sporster!

IP Logged
grey-head
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/26/04 at 19:22:18

can't rattle the slug comes completely out, i'll let you know about the sound if i can ever get the original muffler off, don't want to force it. any ideas???
                         god bless...-john-

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #8 - 05/26/04 at 19:59:23

The OEM Savage muffler? It comes right off.

Two bolts hold the muffer onto the bracket. Remove the heat shield, that's another two bolts, one at the pipe and another on the frame. Loosen the clamp and it should wriggle right off.  The biggest issue would be with the two welded on bolts coming from the muffler taking a little bit of jiggling out of the holes without tearing up the large rubber grommets (they get brittle from heat).  I had mine off in about 10 minutes from opening the socket set to sliding on the Harley Muffler.

I also had an extension pipe made for $10 at a muffler shop:

It's now covered with a chrome heat shield. I also got some nice chrome muffler clamps, but didn't feel like horsing around with it right away.

And I, I, I'm so confused
Which way, which way to choose?
Ride with me baby 'til the end of the day

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #9 - 07/02/04 at 21:46:32

grey-head wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
                    good luck and God bless,
                               -john-

Ever get this done?  If so how's the new tone/volume?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 00:05:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HD Sportster Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.