Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BRAKE JOB (Read 2 times)
Gregski
Ex Member

BRAKE JOB
03/15/04 at 10:42:29

Just found out my local Suzuki Stealership in Sacramento, CA charges the following to do your brakes on the Suzuki Savage:

=== PARTS ===
Front Pads $28.00
Rear Shoes $27.00

=== LABOR ===
Front $35.00 (.5 hours)
Rear $63.00 (.9 hours)

thought I would share to give you all an idea,
Gregski

IP Logged
ironman
Ex Member

Re: BRAKE JOB
Reply #1 - 03/16/04 at 05:05:10

Get a manual and do them yourself if you are familiar with turning a wrench.
Really the labor charges don't sound that bad compared to some of my local dealers.
$69.00 an hour flat rate for any job is what we have from all of them here...(sounds like a conspiracy huh?)

IP Logged
Gregski
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/16/04 at 13:38:38

I am planning on doing them myself, and making some BBQ ribs with the money saved over.  Actually I hope my bro will help me.  I figure I need to get familiar with this bike because I do want to make a chopper out of it after all.  So when I take the rear wheel off I can check out that rear fender and start mocking something up.  It shouldn't be too hard, and it will give me a sense of accomplishment and build my confidence when I get it done.

IP Logged
tekxtc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/03/04 at 12:08:18

My front brake pads are all worn out and I will be putting the new EBC pads over the coming weekend. I was looking thru the older topics and I thought of continuing this thread instead of creating another one.

I was wondering if there is any gotchas in the process. I have the clymer, it basically says losen the allen bolt, remove the caliper from the forks and disc, remove the allen bolt, remove the pads, put the disc brake lube in the pistons and on the back of the pads, and put everything back together.

So anything that you guys experienced that may be I should know about? Also, do you "break in" the brake pads like you break in the tires and the engine or the like? How? Let me know.

Autif

The other links are:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/03/04 at 12:16:38

There are also 2 guide pins for the caliper to "float" on.  Being careful not to tear the rubber seals, a little bit of lithium grease would be good to keep those sliding nicely.

Aside from that, you pretty much got the rest, and I've never done anything but start riding after that  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/03/04 at 13:07:16

Take a look in the Technical Corner.  I just posted some pics of the brake job.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/03/04 at 22:49:22

HEY IRONMAN WHAT SORT OF DOLLARS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, US , ENG , OR WHAT Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 11/04/04 at 05:56:27

Since he's talking about Sacramento, CA, I would assume US$.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/20/06 at 16:06:55

That's not too bad a price, actually! You can do it yourself in those times, the second time you do it.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 06/20/06 at 22:23:46

Bleed the brakes first, then change the pads. Then you won't cause the master cyl to overflow when you open the calipers to accept the new (and thicker) brake pads.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/21/06 at 12:37:52

You don't need to bleed the brakes if you are only changing the pads.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #11 - 06/22/06 at 01:10:33

The choice was pull off the cap and remove some excess fluid so it would not overflow, or just bleed some fluid off. Previous owner had it very full of brake fluid, it was way above the sight glass.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 06/22/06 at 10:59:09

give a holler when the ribs are ready!! ill bring the beer GrinGregski wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I am planning on doing them myself, and making some BBQ ribs with the money saved over.  Actually I hope my bro will help me.  I figure I need to get familiar with this bike because I do want to make a chopper out of it after all.  So when I take the rear wheel off I can check out that rear fender and start mocking something up.  It shouldn't be too hard, and it will give me a sense of accomplishment and build my confidence when I get it done.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/22/06 at 11:53:17

smokey02 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The choice was pull off the cap and remove some excess fluid so it would not overflow, or just bleed some fluid off. Previous owner had it very full of brake fluid, it was way above the sight glass.

Oh, sorry! Yes I left out the part about compressing the piston/having to take the cap off the master cylinder. Another way to remove excess fluid is with a turkey baster.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 19:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BRAKE JOB

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.