Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Raask Exhaust. Did You Know? (Read 157 times)
koiroy
Ex Member

Raask Exhaust. Did You Know?
02/25/04 at 17:20:33

I was talking to the owner of Buster's Motorcycle Accessories in South Wales near London England. I was discussing purchasing a Raask exhaust for my 86 Savage. They are Englands distributor of the product. He told me that even with the baffles installed, they are not technically legal in Europe on the street. I find this odd that they would offer a product that really legally can't be used. We are going on a trip to England and I thought I would pick one up. They are $500US at Omarcafe, the US distributor. They are 145 British pounds at Busters which is about$325 Canadian money. Just thought

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Re: Raask Exhaust. Did You Know?
Reply #1 - 02/26/04 at 07:23:18

I bought a Raask last year. I live in the US. I ordered it directly from Raask in Sweden. I payed $265 (US) with baffle and shipping. The Omarcafe site is just way over priced. I love the look and sound of this pipe. Very loud without baffle but with the baffle it's great. Are there other drag pipes that are "not technically legal" in England? There are pipes here which are for "racing only" but people use them anyway. Some are way, way to loud. If you get the pipe I'm sure you will like it Smiley
Jen

Jen
  IP Logged
Gregski
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/26/04 at 07:43:14

I would like to get the pipe too, but does that mean I will have to rejet the carb, and if so how involved is that, is there a kit for it, etc?  Also does the Raask pipe fit perfectly, so its just a bolt on operation?

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #3 - 02/26/04 at 09:42:01

You do have to rejet the carb. You will be getting alot more air flow with this pipe. When mine was rejetted Dynojet did not have a kit out, but I think they may now. I had a mechanic rejet and put the pipe on. I was having them do some other things so I let them just do everything. Rejetting is not hard if you have a Clymer book to help you through it. It can be a hit and miss process. It took testing a couple of different jet sizes until it ran well. It dosen't backfire like stock but it rumbles loudly on deceleration. I like the way it sounds. The pipe does fit perfectly, no problems there. You don't have to use the back bracket like the stock pipe, it's much lighter. Putting in the baffle is somewhat of a challege, tight fit. Remember to tighten the bolt on the baffle after heating the first time. They forgot to tell me this little detail, the nut fall off of mine and I blew the baffle right out of the pipe. I thought I blew something up, got my attention!

Several people on http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/LS650-Fragen.html or http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Be_Savage/ have this pipe and you could ask them questions about rejetting and such.

Jen

Jen
  IP Logged
Paul

Reply #4 - 02/28/04 at 03:13:04

I have a 93' savage and I live in Canada. I  put a HD sporster muffler on mine on mine and I picked it up for 15 bucks at the local Harley shop. It was never used, the person who bought a Harley there put on a custom pipe when they bought it. It was cheap, loud, and looks better too. Just a thought.

IP Logged
Gregski
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/28/04 at 12:07:30

Paul sounds like you have an econimical alternative, can we see a picture of your Suzihog please?

IP Logged
Roy  Bartell

Reply #6 - 02/28/04 at 15:35:10

My '86 Savage has a Harley Sportster on it now. Its louder but not a whole lot. Great quality of chrome on it also. Front head pipe is of course very blue. It was a challenge fabricating a clamp area for the front of the muffler. Not a stock location unfortueately.

IP Logged
reggae.iceman
Ex Member

Lazer end can
Reply #7 - 03/03/04 at 02:29:19

I have a stainless lazer end can thats been on my 87 for 14 years and still looks good after a wipe with a oily rag. It was nice to find piccies of the old girl on your site,take care now,Roy.

IP Logged
Joseph Solazzo

Reply #8 - 01/24/05 at 20:28:47

Hi all!
   I to swapped out the  stock exhaust on my 86 with a HD sportster muffler.  Had  to remove it because it appeared to build back pressure. Even caused the head gasket to start to weep a bit of oil.  Just a caution here. If you are replacing with a Sportster from an 883 which uses two mufflers you are looking at approx. 440 cc per muffler as opposed to the 650 exhaust load of your Savage.  Maybe it is just my machine but I had no luck.Anyone out there have any thoughts? I would like to retro. the Sportster back on but wonder if I have to take the baffle out and how.

Joe S.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/25/05 at 05:46:02

There are several good threads here about different exhaust systems for the Savage. Even the one where the sound clips are on there. You should seek them out. One is in Technical.

We know there is three main alternatives that are specificaly made for the Savage.

Rask (which is actually a complete down pipe and straight through muffler)

Super trapp (probably the nicest tunable muffler replacement set up but the most expensive outside the Rask)

Jardine  (similar in price and sound to the Mac)

Mac (the one I am currently using and its cheap relatively... around a hundred bucks new)

And then there is a myraid of other adapted things like the Harley ones.

for sound clip thread click here

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #10 - 01/25/05 at 06:03:34

Can anyone post a pic of their bike with the Mac muffler? The chrome on my Jardine sux. It sounds perfect but it changed color after about 20 min. I can polish out the discoloring with a special powder but it takes A LOT of hard work.

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/25/05 at 06:08:45

I will snap you a fresh one today...

I earlier had a thread on this and had one that I have a few pictures on... should be around here somewhere. But I don't think I ever finished with a final picture of the new heat shield on it and all the joint cleaned up... I need to do that.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/25/05 at 07:28:46

The bikes a bit dirty... but you get the idea... This is it with the smaller universal heat shield over the joint.

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #13 - 01/25/05 at 08:59:33

That looks nice. How does it sound? Is the chrome on it good?

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 01/25/05 at 11:05:47

So far I've been satisfied with the MAC.  Here's the MAC sound clip I made a few months ago.  Cphilip posted a link above for all of our sound clips so far.  It's actually a thread in the Technical Corner section of this site.  If I ever change mine, it'll probably only be to a one-piece like the Raask.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raask Exhaust. Did You Know?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.