Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
your longest trip on your Savage (Read 26 times)
cphilip
Ex Member

Re: your longest trip on your Savage
Reply #30 - 11/08/04 at 19:29:29

Well... if the weather is good this weekend I am going to ride Hwy 76 from Anderson SC all the way to Dalton Ga.... 164 miles each way. All by myself. All through the North Georgia mountains and valleys. Then back on Sunday.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #31 - 11/09/04 at 17:27:17

My longest trip was 3rd week June 03 when my brother and I went from Moses Lake to Lander Wyoming and back via Eastern Oregon. Purpose was to attend the FSSNOC Rally there.(FSSNOC = Four Stroke Singles National Owners Club - serious thumper guys and gals)) About 2400 miles. Left Moses Lake in beautiful weather on 2 laners and got to Idaho that night. Was raining the next day but we forged on over hill and dale and finally called it a day after lots of rain and cold weather. Last day enroute was over a 9000 ft pass and it snowed and was cold. I have an edging on my windshield and the snow was built up about 1/2 in. on the shield.  I'm sure had there not been a Rally we would have turned tail and headed for home or warmer places. Great Rally and then we left via the southern route on the slab. Slabbed across Idaho to Boise (got some HD brake parts for him) and then headed over two laners again from Vail OR to John Day OR where I have relatives. spent the night there and visited and the headed home, was 105 deg and no wind coming down the hill on the south side of Pendleton, OR. Glad to have mesh jackets for that part. Savage ran great, used over a qt of oil in the cold part I can only attribute to the cold air from my fairing distorting the cylinder to the point the 20/50 sythentic went by the rings. It doesn't seem to burn as blue as dino as my brother said he never saw any smoke. Has not reocurred so is the only explanation I can think of. Ran with traffic on the slab, but I was running a 140/90 tire at the time and it changed the sweet spot up some in MPH. I have very little vibration at any speed and would encourage any who do to check all engine to frame fasteners for correct torque. Over the years I found that loosened fasteners make singles vibrate. I also have a full fairing and a shield before that so may change the tendency for the handle bars to vibrate as they clamp on there.  Couple other 3 -4 day trips with my brother and his wife around WA, he rides a HD bagger and she a VS800 here and a Savage in Juneau AK where they live. she has ridden the Savage from Anchorage AK around AK and the Yukon to Haines AK, then from Prince Rupert BC to WA and around, they are bike campers. Now they leave a set of bikes here in a trailer as moving them to and from SE AK was getting expensive. Hoping for a big trip next spring to SE WA with them to our equivalent of "Deals Gap".  Many turns in a few miles up and down to the Grand Rhonde river. Max Roll Eyes

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #32 - 11/10/04 at 13:09:06

So far just about 100 miles round trip. It needed to be longer. When we came back I just rode right past our driveway and kept going.
Handled great. I drove about 70MPH the way there give or take slower cars in front.  up and down hills and curvy road. great ride. no loss of power even with gf on back.

I was going to try to talk my gf into riding cross country next summer, but that will have to wait. we will just have to rent a car this time. too much stuff to take with out $ for a motorcycle trailer and all the other stuff we would need. I am shooting a documentary, so quite a bit of stuff to carry.

I think I may want to buy a bigger bike in the future for long cross country rides. One with big cushy seats and lots of storage options.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #33 - 11/10/04 at 13:43:04

the longest trip on my savage is more a philosphical trip than an actual trip.

it's the 40 ft walk from the grarage to the house after i've put it away for the day.  Sad

earler this month i did a 500 mile day ride though the mountains of washington state.  saw mt rainer, mt st helens.  and a couple of more i dont know the name of.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 11/12/04 at 16:19:53

Ok well I am packed and about ready to leave out in the morning. Its more like 194 miles now to were I am going. All through the SC lower Mountains and then down the spine of the Georgia Mountains and its valleys. Through Clayton and down across to Dalton following Hwy 76 all the way. Staying the night there and then returning Sunday. Going solo. All by myself. Well for the trip anyways. Going to meet up with a big group thats doing a Toys for Tots Paintball event down there in Georgia. The company I admin the site for is sponsoring and going to be site members from that Forum in large numbers there. They will be playing starting in the morning but I won't get there till early afternoon. Mostly going to press the flesh and party with them. Supposed to be about a 4 hour trip down but since I am solo I am going to slow down and not get myself in any trouble if I can.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #35 - 11/12/04 at 20:10:34

cphilip - Have a blast and ride safe! We'll be thinking of you.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 11/15/04 at 10:55:52

I made it!

Up and back was pretty cold. Unfortunatley the roads through the mountains were still a bit damp on the way up. So I was not able to attack any of them. Was pretty cold all the way up. No sun and never got above 55 all day. Mostly below that. Started out at 45. Had no real problems up. 4 hours and three breaks. My new Leather HD FXRG Jacket was superb at keeping the upper body warm. I was mostly toasty all the way.

The ride back was uneventfull mostly. I ran out of fuel in between towns when I tried to push it to the next one 12 miles away. On a short stretch of 65 mph road. Could not reach the fuel lever in time to avoid a shut down and was at 65 when it occured so I just coasted off to the side, set it to prime, and restarted, Then switched to Reserve and made it on in to a gas station.

Man was I sore though. After each trip I felt like someone had beaten me with a ball bat. Arms and knee's. Still got a bit of sprained knee. Don't klnow why. Takes a lot of muscles to ride that you end up using more than you think. Always somewhat tense and talking to yourself the whole time. Its intense! But fun! But tireing...

Trip back was all sunshine but cold. Like 50 - 55. Looked nicer but was a tad colder feeling. Saw some interesting wildlife. Turkey, Deer.... and Buffalo... yea in North Georgia!

Being tired as I was I decided that, dry roads or not I was not going to attack any curves. My Cel phone had died earlier in the day... my head was a tad still latent hungover and it was just not the safe thing to do. So inspite of wanting too and many beckoning twisties ahead, I layed low and slowed down below my normal cornering speeds. I was alone and all so it just was not worth it.

Left home at 9:30 am Saturday. Stopped by my workshop and checked the tire pressure and oil one more time. Double checked my strap on bag of clothes and got on the road about 10:30 AM. Got down to Dalton about 3 PM. Left Dalton at 11:30 AM Sunday and got in to the house about 5 PM Just as the Sun was setting low and it was getting colder. Had to stop up in the mountains and change from the light gloves to the heavy ones.

I think it ended up being 165 miles each way. And then some running around there. All told just a tad under 400 miles round trip.

IP Logged
memetr
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 07/19/07 at 05:41:38

My wife and I did a 2600 mile trip. She on her savage me on my sportster. Took two lane Roads. Rode from maryland to tennessee. Rode the Dragon, and part of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Ran about 250 miles per day in  August. Weather in the 90s. Rain all day for 3 days on way back. Absolutely no problem with Bike. We were camping and both bikes were loaded. we were two weeks on the road, including days spent in camp grounds.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #38 - 07/19/07 at 06:33:24

I rode from my house (North of Pittsburgh) to Morgantown, Wv (96 miles),  then east to Somerset Pa (85 miles), then home again (110 miles) in one day. (I'm a field service rep (like the maytag man))

The whole trip used less than 5 gallons of fuel and I rode anywhere from 55mph all the way to 75mph (in Wva).

After about 4 hours, my back side started hurting and my legs got tired from hugging the tank for so long...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #39 - 07/19/07 at 09:29:42

Hard to answer the original questions directly... Some general answers: I've not taken either of my Savages on any long road trips. Probably never will, as I don't deem them or myself fit for such. These bikes (87 and 99) are happiest in the 55-60mph range, but capable of cruising at 70+ if you are tolerant of it. I'm not without a windshield any more, and neither of my Savages have one. Hence, longest stretch of 'slab' at or about 70mph so far is probably about 50 miles. I'd rather ride the back roads.

My typical riding is just heading out with no particular place to go. Often turning down roads I notice, just because "I've never been down that one before." This is also typical of me, as I did the same on foot and bicycle as a kid. No telling how far from home I'll roam on any given trip when I do that. I also have some standard 'circuits' of two-lane blacktop close to home that I run around for short occasional rides. Sometimes those rides are as little as 10-25 miles just to break boredom. These rides are usually in the 30 to 60mph range, and can be ridden either at leisure or more aggressively depending on my state of mind. Sometimes I just want to putt along, and might stop just to have a smoke and moo back at the cows Wink Other times I feel like riding the piss out of the poor little Savages, and scrubbing some rubber off the tires here and there!

I know I've ridden the tank from full to empty in one sitting many times, several times on each bike. And then some more on the way home. But I've never been more than two tanks from home and back, so that means no trips over 200 miles in a day yet. Probably a bit over 150 in a day has happened a few times, and that is plenty to wear me out, and make the butt plenty sore, whether it is the shaved foam stock seat on the 99, or the Sportster seat on the 87. As some have mentioned, the miles get easier on the butt the more you ride, but the Savage's cramped riding position and seat position still isn't the best suited for 5' 10"+ and 250+ pounds.

Only been caught out in the heavy rain twice on the Savages. Once about 30 miles from home, and wearing only a light shirt in cool (60s?) weather. 60s feels like 40s when you are wet and moving 40+mph! The other time I got caught in the rain, I had on my full riding gear, but had no rain suit with me. (I need to buy and carry a rain suit, as should any real biker.) Had to ride about 10 miles home in the driving rain. It was a real toad floater, and I had to ride a two-lane blacktop home with cars and trucks smothering me with tire wash very often. That sucked. My overalls and jacket felt like they weighed about 50 pounds when I got back home and dismounted the bike.  

Like I said: Not easy to answer all the original questions straight out, what with my type of riding. But within the above, all the questions are answered in one way or another.

Addition: Thought I'd mention that; though I've only ridden the two Savages less than 3k miles since starting back riding this time, I've not had a road-stranding failure of any kind on the yet. They've been extremely bulletproof compared to many other bikes I've owned over the years. Rivaling my favored Yamaha bikes from the past in reliability. That's pretty good in my book.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #40 - 07/19/07 at 11:02:47

Smiley I think the longest ride I have taken was around 440 miles in one day.  It was with the PGR.
Roads:  almost all interstate
Weather:  around 45 in the AM, and around 60 in the PM
Speed:  Average around 65-70.  Mostly sunny to partly cloudy.
Stops: Every 75-100 miles for gas and to drain kidneys
Comfort:  Not too bad
Other Bikes:  Mostly Harleys and other large  bikes
Comments from others:  "I am impressed!", "what the Heck is that ?!" ??? ???
Problems:  0
Gas Milage:  58 MPG
Stability:  Pretty Good (before Superbrace, now great)
Best Criusing Speed:  One stretch we slowed down for about 15 miles, and it was very comfortable around 55-60 MPH.
Windshield:  Yes
Saddle Bags:  Yes
Performance Mods:  0
May I also add I was flying to 12" X 14" flags off the back of the back rest about mid back high.

I also would rather ride the back two lanes around 50-55MPH.  But the 06 S40 can handle the Super Slabs quite well within reason.
Grin Grin 8) 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #41 - 07/19/07 at 21:19:04

The most recent trip I've done was this last week. I did about 2,500 miles from wednesday afternoon through this evening (thursday) round trip from south central Minnesota to Chapel Hill, NC. There was a three day layover down there for a high school band reunion, but I don't think that wrecks the concept of long haul bikin'. I was averging about 450 or so miles a day. Two of those days included about eight hours each in chilly rain and wind. Another was about three hours in nasty, windy, thunder storm downpour out on the big slab. Bike did great. I froze my tukus.

Last summer I did a 4,200 mile round trip from here in MN to Miami, FL. Hundred degree days every day with a five day layover down there. Don't do Miami in August if you can help it. Ran syth oil and changed it when I got back and it was still a pretty greenish yellow, sort of.

On both trips I got backed up for time on the way down and had to push the poop out of the bike and it just cruised. This last trip I was blowing a little oil out the bottom, but I blame that on pushin' 75-80 mph for long stretches at a time. One time I "had to" sit around 85 mph for around twnty miles. Bike likes to rattle up there, but kept pulling and still had throtle left even hauling 180# of me and about 70# of stuff. All the gunk washed off and on the return trip there was nothing to speak of but road/rain dirt.

Get over 60 mph and the vibration's gonna get to you. Keep the stock seat setup and you'll be looking for a therapist to rub novacane on your bottom for you. Since I now have about eight gallons of fuel on board I seem to keep torturing my hinnie which gives me a great excuse to stop and read in the shade with a diet coke and such for a spell.

I got the bike 'cause it was easy to work on, not too heavy to pick up "when" it lies down and seemed to have enough power to do long trips. It was my first bike and so far I see no reason to "trade up". I do a lot of backwoods boonies trippin' with dirt roads and it does the job. And now I've got a trailer hitch too.

I wouldn't mind a more comfortable bike for L-O-N-G highway trips though. I have a friend with a 1200 Kawasaki who gets around 52 mpg on the highway and rides nicer than most Wings, which might be the bike to get her to hop on the back for trips.

But, bottom line, you want to go the distance the Sav will do it. Watch the oil.

Jack

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #42 - 07/20/07 at 14:12:12

Longest trip would be 10 days with all my gear on board for a camping trip into the Rockies - we rode about 4000 kms on that trip
Longest day was just over 600 miles and after than run I bought an air hawk seat pad to over come the torture pad that Suzuki engineered for this fine scooter
You can run the Savage on all highways - and cruise it hard all day long - but the slow twisty highways are always the most interesting!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #43 - 07/22/07 at 02:06:25

last year  i rode from portland or to illinois, traveled thru 11 states. Put on almost 6,000 miles on my savage in 6 weeks. Rode all day at 65 to 70. rode from missoula montana to portland in a blinding rainstorm. 550 miles. Bike ran perfect

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #44 - 07/23/07 at 05:10:35

What has been the longest trip any of you have made on your Savage?
I had a couple of 400 mile day trips on my Savage.

What weather?
I rode in any weather as long as the roads were not completely covered with ice and snow (and then sometimes...) I made one long trip in below freezing weather and decided that really wasn't much fun. I think I dropped my body core temperature. I know my hands and arms were cold.

How many stops for rest/breaks?
Good news bad news, gotta stop every couple of hours for gas. I started looking for a gas station at 100 miles ridden and rarely had to go into the reserve.

Average MPH?
Hard to say, but never averaged over 65 mph. This wasn't by choice but by the fact that the Savage engine really wasn't comfortable going faster. (I've done 100 mph days on my Concours).

What kind of roads (2 lane, expressway?)
All kinds of roads, I used the Savage for transportation.

At what speed did your Savage seem to cruise easiest?
There wasn't a "sweet spot" that I ever found, so anything up to about 60 mph was the same, good but not "sweet." (The Concours has a sweet spot between 85 and 90 mph. My wife's vulcan cruises "sweet" at 55 mph, probably by design.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:19:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › your longest trip on your Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.