Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
your longest trip on your Savage (Read 26 times)
Petertheblacksmith
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Finland
Re: your longest trip on your Savage
Reply #15 - 05/14/04 at 06:36:59

Long thread... visit this forum rarely. My longest trip is a 1000 mile(1600 km) trip, 3 days, from Finland to Norway and back. Two-lane, windling countryroads. Nice. Recommend it to anyone. Bike works like a dream. As I have said multiple times before - the Savage is a great bike for touring !
...but the standard saddle is NOT for my tushy... it is all too soft ! Grin
Peter the blacksmith

IP Logged
Savvyge

Reply #16 - 09/07/04 at 20:57:16

Earlier this year in June, during the Americade Week, I did a round trip from Burlington, VT to Pittsfield, MA and back, leaving around noon and returning before dark on one of the longest, hottest days of the year. It was just under 400 miles, all of it on rural two lane roads. Ran through nearly four tanks of gas and the Savage, unlike its rider, was running stronger at the end of the day than when we began. Passed 3 dead Harleys on the way. The Savage just keeps going, and going, and...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 09/08/04 at 03:34:07

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
"waynesvillecycle.com" sells a  gel seat for all bikes.  Might want to check it out. 8)

Waynesville Cycle is right down the road from here.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 09/08/04 at 03:37:54

Petertheblacksmith wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Long thread... visit this forum rarely. My longest trip is a 1000 mile(1600 km) trip, 3 days, from Finland to Norway and back. Two-lane, windling countryroads. Nice. Recommend it to anyone. Bike works like a dream. As I have said multiple times before - the Savage is a great bike for touring !
...but the standard saddle is NOT for my tushy... it is all too soft ! Grin
Peter the blacksmith

I agree.  Your butt does need a little "training" if you are new to riding, but the Savage seat just doesn't have the right padding.

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #19 - 09/08/04 at 05:30:53

My longest trip was from NYC to Myrtle Beach SC, done in two days. Total of 675 miles, and I rode with other riders. The mileage was pretty evenly divided between the days. That was back in May 2004.

More recently in August '04, I rode from NYC to Dayton OH and did it alone! That was 632 miles done over two days. On day one I rode 394 miles. I rode speeds of ~70-75 mph mostly.

On the return trip, I came back with others and so we came back all in one day. 630 miles in one day is really too grueling a trip for me. It took over 12 hours, which I think is a lot no matter what bike you're riding.

Gerry

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #20 - 09/08/04 at 09:20:30

longest so far:

341 miles in one day starting from my home to austin tx and back home later that evening. (last week)

weather was warm(~90 degrees fahrenheit) and clear.

interstate all the way.

top speed in the AM was 80 mph.
average speed in the AM was 75mph.

top speed in the PM was 75mph.
average speed in the PM was 65mph(i was tired, so went slower).

stopped every 70-80 miles for fuel and a stretch. (my boss, who was with me, rides a honda vtx 1800 and gets maybe 35 mpg highway)

standard seat. windsheild.

my savage cruises best at about 68 mph.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #21 - 09/08/04 at 09:25:45

Yes, a windshield. I have one also. I find it makes any ride at 50mph or more much more pleasant Cheesy and find it is really a necessity for my comfort.

Gerry

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 09/08/04 at 11:33:02

I've only had my 98 Savage for about 8 weeks now but she already has a place in my heart.  I haven't made any long trips yet.  The longest is about 150 miles round-trip.  She handles well and I've been riding her to work now that we've begun to have some cooler weather here in Dallas (highs in the mid 80's this week, beautiful!).  My round trip to work is 48 miles and 42 of that is freeway.  Nadine has no trouble keeping up with traffic on the HOV lane at 75 MPH either.  She had a windshield when I got her so I can't say what the difference is without it.  So far as seats go, I've been quite pleased with a sheepskin seat pad from http://www.sheepyhollow.com/.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Tim

Reply #23 - 09/14/04 at 11:33:04

Longest single day trip was from Hopkington, MA to NYC and back.  550 miles total with a group that started with 2,300 bikes and ended up with 4,000+ by the time we reached Ground Zero.

Morning was 35 degrees F and 87 degrees by the time we got to NYC.  I get a little over 100 miles per tank, so had to stop often.  I was a bit sore, but the Savage help up great.

Also, I regularly travel from Boston to Maine to visit family.  100 miles up, 100 miles in the same day.

I've figured out that 68 miles per hour is best for my bike.  Very comfortable engine speed with enough power in waiting to throttle out of the way of dumb-ass no-directional drivers that feel the need to change lanes all of a sudden.

IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/14/04 at 13:24:26

I have done many different trips on my savage..  from 300 miles in a day to 30 mile commute to work and back...on road with a posted speed of 50 to highway with postings of 65....  i just have  a question..  on my bike 50 or 55 is a great cruising speed.. very little vibration.. plenty of emergency power available...  at 60 or 65 the vibes tend to get worse... not uncomfortable mind you .. but noticeable....at 70...  the teeth get to chatterin...  is it me.. or do we all have different tolerances for what is comfortable...?  or are the bikes different?  i have ridden my girlfriends 2000  plenty...  my 98 has the jardine..all the carb mods that we read about in this forum... and i can pull away from her stock bike quite easily...  but...  i don't find any difference in the ride at speeds over 65...  i dont' think my fillings could handle a 20 mile ride at a constant 70 miles an hour...  am i missing something? ???   or am i just old? Wink

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #25 - 09/14/04 at 14:51:53

za16866 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I....  i just have  a question..  on my bike 50 or 55 is a great cruising speed.. very little vibration.. plenty of emergency power available...  at 60 or 65 the vibes tend to get worse... not uncomfortable mind you .. but noticeable....at 70...  the teeth get to chatterin...  is it me.. or do we all have different tolerances for what is comfortable...?  or are the bikes different?  i have ridden my girlfriends 2000  plenty...  my 98 has the jardine..all the carb mods that we read about in this forum... and i can pull away from her stock bike quite easily...  but...  i don't find any difference in the ride at speeds over 65...  i dont' think my fillings could handle a 20 mile ride at a constant 70 miles an hour...  am i missing something? ???   or am i just old? Wink

Vibrations are common.  Some people (like me) experience them more on the right side.  Heavier footpegs and grips can help if you are feeling the vibrations in your feet or hands.  For more detail and an explanation by Greg on vibration, see the topic:
Vibrating on the Right

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #26 - 09/15/04 at 23:53:39

Well w/o looking at the map a trip from Memphis-Caruthersville MO and back via the Great River Road was likely the longest. *
On the other hand, maybe Nebit MS to Corinth was a comparable Sat. P.M. ride, both trips starting aimlessly on a weekend.

MO trip was near perfect weather and that was when the LS was topped out. 2nd trip was hot.
MS trip got warmer as day progressed.
1st trip avg speed (w/o stops) about 60-65 mph.
2nd was about 70- 80 mph. Mostly 4-lane divided hwy.

I stopped for 1st available gas after switching to reserve and upon arriving destination. Good smooth seamless asphalt both trips.

Best (preferred by bike & RIDER) cruise speed is 60-64 MPH.
* The 1st trip was done w/ the stock seat; the second may have seemed shorter due to the gel seat.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Daemon
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/16/04 at 02:32:01

I just took a 300 mile trek on my 02 (Wednesday). From backroads, a canyon road, highways, and probably close to 200 miles on Interstates traveling mainly 75-80 mph flat, rolling and steep hills. Weather could have been better probably ranged from 55-65 degrees or so and a good stretch was wet so that gave me the opportunity to break in some new chaps.

My bike is stock, with a windshield added on. I have the typical pipe discoloration and backfiring, I'll deal with the needle jet washer soon. I don't have any noticable vibrations at any speeds, at least nothing unusual compared to any bikes I've ever ridden. This bike is a perfect fit for me being 5'5" and 155 pds I cruise at the 75+mph and the bike could run that all day. The only problem I had on this ride was some severe head and sidewinds (35-40mph) which actually dropped my speed throttled out at 70mph going up a grade.

This bike had 505 miles on it when I bought it on September 3rd and I'm now sitting at 1465 after todays ride. No problems with the stock seat, but the passenger seat will have to be changed or modified if I ever plan on bringing anyone along for a decent length ride.

Love this Savage and look forward to modifying some aspects once the seasons over here.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #28 - 09/16/04 at 05:34:00

Welcome to the forum Daemon!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #29 - 11/08/04 at 15:02:01

I did my longest ride yesterday.  164 miles round trip from Houston up to a little hole in wall town called Carlos.  Not much of anything there except a roadhouse/resaurant/bar called the Yankee Tavern and that place was PACKED.  It took an hour to get a burger.  Mostly 2 lane, back woods state highways.  Avg. speed about 50-55 with nice 35 - 45 mph gentle winding curves, a couple of 15 mph curves.  Although we did have some stretches of sustained 65 mph highway.  I also rolled up 1000 miles on the odometer and found out about that vibration you guys have talked about.  My hands and bottom were numb!  It was worse when the numb wore off.  Hurts to sit down today.  But all in all I say[glow=red,2,300] YIPEEEEEEE! [/glow]

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:26:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › your longest trip on your Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.