Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
your longest trip on your Savage (Read 26 times)
ironman
Ex Member

your longest trip on your Savage
02/25/04 at 16:24:06

What has been the longest trip any of you have made on your Savage?
What weather?
How many stops for rest/breaks?
Average MPH?
What kind of roads (2 lane, expressway?)
At what speed did your Savage seem to cruise easiest?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: your longest trip on your Savage
Reply #1 - 02/25/04 at 16:29:35

Can't tell you the lenght of the trip, but my most comfortable speed is 80 kliks or 50 M/h. That is without a windshield.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Gregski
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/26/04 at 09:10:24

Q. What has been the longest trip any of you have made on your Savage?

A. Over 150 miles in one day.

Q. What weather?

A. February 23, 2004 weather was:
Low 44 degrees
High 59 degrees
Average riding weather was mid 50s
sun would come out and hide again, when it was out it was glorious, othertimes it was just great

Q. How many stops for rest/breaks?

A. Rode 25 miles to friends house who lives across town, stopped for 20 minutes.  Rode out for 50 miles stopped for about 45 minutes at another friends ranch.  Turned around and rode 50 more miles stopped for about an hour at a Pizzaria.  Stopped for about 20 minutes at a friends house and rode home the last 25 miles.

Q. Average MPH?

A. 60 Mph on the semi highway (100 miles)
40 Mph on city streets (50 miles)

Q. What kind of roads (2 lane, expressway?)
50 miles on city roads (stop lights, stop signs, 1, 2 an 3 lanes)
100 miles on highway (1 lane country back road type, Jackson Highway 16 and Highway 49 in Sacramento, CA)

Q. At what speed did your Savage seem to cruise easiest?

A. The Savage never struggled no matter what speed not even while climbing mild hills at 60 mph in 4th or 5th gear.

I rode with a guy who had a 1999 Yamaha Road Star and I could beat him off the line each time, but he was probobly not trying.  I could keep up no problem, though I am not that good of a rider yet, so he kept it under 65 Mph.  I recomend a longer ride such as this one to everyone who wants to learn more about the machine, after 50 or so miles the seat, handlebars, and pegs talk to you man... they say how's your lower back holding up, how's your shoulders, are your wrists tigh, are your arms ready to fall off, or not?

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/04/04 at 21:22:24

HI GUYS AL DOWN UNDER HERE . RODE MY SCOOTER FROM QUEENSLAND TO VICTORIA TWICE ABOUT 3000 KILMETERS THERE AND BACK. THREE DAYS DOWN 3 BACK . HAVE A CUPA EVERY TANKFULL . WHATS THE HURRY . SAT ON 100 TO 110 KS PER HOUR . FIRST TRIP 3 DAYS BAD BAD RAIN DID 13 HOURS FIRST DAY VERY WET .TOOK ALL OF MY ENERGY SCREWED THE REST OF THE TRIP UP . NEXT TIME AND FROM KNOW ON I DO ABOUT 6 HOURS A DAY AND EAT CRUSIE AND ENJOY .THE SAVAGE IS VERY RELIABLE BIKE NO PROBLEMS. USES A BIT OF OIL DONT KNOW WHY . WinkP.S THIS WAS ON A 86 WITH A 4 SPEED GEAR BOX

IP Logged
pa.storm
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/05/04 at 18:45:44

330 miles round trip.  It was the middle of summer so I'm guessing mid 80's.  All rideing was done on 2 lane streets with the average being 55mph.  Not sure on how many breaks we took but I'm guessing around 5.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 03/06/04 at 03:53:01

Have only had my '03 Savage on the road from Aug. 27th to Oct. 20th last year ... she's currently sleeping 'till the arrival of Spring here in Newfoundland ...
Longest ride? Well on Labour Day, myself and 3 friends rode from St. John's, Nfld. to Bay Roberts, Nfld. and back ... total distance of approx. 200 km (130 miles) along some very beautiful (and twisty) coastal highways. The route took us thru some historic, "postcard" villages (Brigus, Avondale and Cupids to name a few), always with a magnificent view of the ocean! Speed limit along this highway is 60 kph with slow-downs to 50 kph thru communities. Lovely ride ... Savage never coughed once and gave approx. 50 miles/US gallon. Can't wait to get her on the Road again ... hopefully soon!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ironman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/09/04 at 13:17:29

8)keep em coming guys!
I'm just trying to gather information on just how durable the Savage is.

I think a good way to tell a bikes reliability and durability is to know how a bike handles longer trips. We could all ride 250s if we only hung out in town, right?

Btw..My 03 Savage now has a little over 2000 miles on it and seems to be running better and better.

My longest trip, 200 miles.
mostly 2 or 4 lane highway
Late October....frosty in the morning and warm in the afternoon on the way home.
Average speed, 50-60
most comfortable crusing speed, 50-60. Savage seems to like that speed. everything seems to be in a good "click" at that speed.
3 breaks. 1 for coffee in the morn. 1 at the destination and 1 for a snack on the way home.
Not one drop of oil less than when I changed it at 600 miles.
I don't winterize, I ride all year as long as the weather is above 40 degrees.

Local mechanic told me the Savage is like an old Volkswagen; Keep the oil changed, a good plug in it, and the valves adjusted and she'll go forever.

I know a salesman at one of the local dealers who owned a Savage and put over 80,000 miles on it.
Ironman
Heading north for another 200 miler real soon.

IP Logged
ironman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/24/04 at 05:15:56

Did a 162 miler with the CMA last Saturday. Savage rode with Kawas, Hondas, Yamahahas, Harleys, and 1 big ole Beemer. 16 bikes total.

Savage was the only thumper in the bunch, and the smallest cc bike.

Most seemed impressed with the Savage when the ride was about mid-way. One couple offered to buy it and another couple of guys ask; how much ? (looking for a bike for their friend who is new to riding.)

Savage was as sound as ever as far as the mechanics go, but the seat was a "nummmer" after about an hour.

8)Had fun, and I think the Savage gained a little more respect last Saturday.
Ironman
Btw.....ride was flatland and some mountain roads too. Flatland open road was 60mph. mountains were as slow as 5 or 10 when we got behind a tractor on a two lane mountain road!

IP Logged
Joe Fabrygel

Reply #8 - 04/10/04 at 18:31:29

Hello all.  

I'm a prospective Savage owner.  I'm scheduled to take motorcyle safety course in 4 weeks, and haven't ridden a bike in 20 years, and that on a ranch and over country roads.

I plan on using a bike to commute to work  - 25 miles with mostly 60 mph speed limit with one stretch of 10 miles at 70 mph.

Would the Savage be a good bike to consider for a new rider, and would it be suitable for occasional jaunts to the Texas Hill country, or a longer weekend trip to visit my sister in Dallas?

I don't plan to do high speed riding, but if I need to keep up with 70 mph traffic, will this bike do it comfortably?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 04/11/04 at 09:03:32

SmileyHey Joe ... no worries about the Savage man ... she's capable of pretty much anything you ask of her ... providing of course you realize she's no GXR 1000 nor a Valkerie  Wink ... The Savage is a great, uncomplicated Bike! Ride and Enjoy!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/11/04 at 09:40:20

In reply to Joe F.  The Savage does great in Texas Hill Country.  I commute to Hillsboro regularly on I35.  On Good Friday, I probably rode 80 miles of I35+backroads, and hardly ever fell below 65-70mph.  One of the great things about the Savage is the affordability, and weight.  I (along with most) can lean the bike almost all the way over, and still handle the weight.  Only 352 lbs.  The seat height is one of the lowest around, too.  I have about 10,000 miles on my 2001, and they have been very low maintenance.  Just some brake pads, and a new back tire.  If your heading to Dallas, email me and I'll let you check her out.  I live in the DFW area.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/15/04 at 20:52:25

Well, Mr. Ironman, I don't know for sure what my longest trip was, but I regularly do a loop around the neighboring countryside, that is probably 150 miles or so.  It is mainly on small highways.  At an average of 50mph.  I tend to keep it at this speed because my engine runs the smoothest at this speed.  Maybe my bike needs a little tuneup, because it's a little jumpy at low speeds.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 04/17/04 at 09:52:50

Don't tell me you did all these long trips on the Suzuki STANDART sadle. Roll Eyes

I did 150 Km to-day with about 4 stops and my but still hurts Angry

So I'm in for sadle improvements and/or replacement of another one. Any suggestions are wellcom.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/17/04 at 10:02:41

"waynesvillecycle.com" sells a  gel seat for all bikes.  Might want to check it out. 8)

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/12/04 at 23:42:19

MY BUT WAS SOAR FOR ABOUT THE FIRST 12 MONTHS NOW I CAN RIDE ALL DAY . WITH A CUPA EVERY TANK FULL. I THINK THE PROBLEM IS WE ARE SITTING ON THE TAIL BONE BUT GIVEN TIME THE STOCK SEAT IS QUIT COSY. JUST KEEP RIDING AND END UP A HARD ASS LIKE ME Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › your longest trip on your Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.