Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
21 inch front wheel (Read 179 times)
Ray Rapp

21 inch front wheel
11/28/03 at 11:23:26

I might put a 21 inch front wheel on my Savage. Has anyone tried doing this?

IP Logged
Gregski

Re: 21 inch front wheel
Reply #1 - 01/30/04 at 10:52:59

I am also considering doing this, I wonder if we have to loose the fender, and what other obstacles we may encounter, if you pull it off, shoot me an email and or post some pictures.

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/04 at 10:27:11

I have found a company that can built a 21" wheel. Just send them the hub and they will take it from there. I am making a chopper out of my Savage and will not be using a front fender. So I can't say if it will be an issue or not. Here is the link.
http://www.buchananspokes.com/aboutus.htm

IP Logged
Mario Thorne

Reply #3 - 02/01/04 at 06:53:24

thanks for the link,i am also turning my 86 savage into a chopper.http://www.design-cycle.com/design2003/designhome.asp.this is a link to a custom frame builder,and this is a kink for really cool old school invader mags.http://www.macleodmanufacturing.com/wheels.html.   send me a pic of your chop if you have one.  mario

IP Logged
Mario Thorne

Reply #4 - 02/01/04 at 07:00:36

8) 8) 8)i have many more links to sites that have really cool stuff if you need any let me know

mario

IP Logged
Greg

Reply #5 - 02/09/04 at 09:40:22

I called Buchanan's Spoke & Rim today and found out the following:  First of all they do not chrome, nor paint your old parts.  Second here is the quote breakdown to have them build a 21 inch front wheel for us using an existing savage front hub.

$148 cost of front 21 inch rim
$  89 labor
$  88 spokes and nipples
-------
$325 TOTAL

That is a bit too pricey for me, since I want it either all chromed or painted as well.  I may try to find an already built wheel.  Question, do we have to use the existing hub, can we just go out and but a 21 inch wheel?

IP Logged
Greg

Reply #6 - 02/09/04 at 09:41:50

Hi Mario, thanks for the link to the rims, I am a spokes kinda guy though, especially on an old school chop.  However do share the other links, I am currious on what you got.  Where are you from, you can shoot me an email.

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/04 at 11:19:54

I had not contacted Buchanan Spokes. Your are right that is too darn much. Even if I laced the wheel myself it would be over $250 with shipping. Now I have seen 21" front wheels in Harley catalogs. The spoke count is wrong for a Savage. Now I have even seen complete 21" wheels(hub included) in the Harley catalogs however I don't know if they could be made to work. I worry abou axle diameter and mounting the front disc brake. I had even considered going without a front brake. Really old school but I think I have chickened out on that idea. If you learn more keep us updated.

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/10/04 at 13:11:27

Here is a good price on a complete 21 inch wheel for a Harley. Chromed as well. However  could it be made to fit a  Savage? The hub has 5 holes for the brake rotor and a Savage has 4. Not sure how to adapt.

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

IP Logged
Greg

Reply #9 - 02/10/04 at 23:57:36

Now to add more mud to the water, or maybe solve our dilema.  What if we were to put on a springer front end on the bike.  So we buy an American Springer front end, then buy an American front wheel, then buy an American front disk break set... and whala we are out $1,000 if we're lucky, and our 21 inch front wheel problemm is solved... or is it?, maybe we just relocated the problem, 'cause now we are trying to mount an american 1 inch diameter fork stem inside our who knows what size Japanese head tube.  Thought I would just mix it up a bit, lol ~ Gregski

IP Logged
IronRebel
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/11/04 at 17:24:26

You'll find plenty of old school 21 inch wheels at swap meets. The drawback is that they are drumbrakes. But...they are cheap. I had one on my springer but did not like the way it "bucked" as I applied the brake....pretty scary...he he he It might work better on a stock Savage frontend.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #11 - 10/30/09 at 00:59:09

Also there is a mechanical disadvantage to be considered if the savage disc brake is to be used. A taller wheel is equivalent to putting on a smaller disc. Been there. The Savage brake is sorta marginal to begin with. It is only a single cylinder, if a dual cylinder could be fitted then it would likely be OK tho.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/30/09 at 10:33:27

YonuhAdisi has fitted a harley girder front end on his savage. Directions in the tech section. Good luck on the mods

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #13 - 10/30/09 at 10:39:24

An alternative, if you just want a larger tire:  You can mount up to a 110/90-19 (stock is 100/90-19) tire.  To do this, you would have to slightly modify the front fender so that it stands up a little higher.  Do this by elongating the four screw holes where the fender attaches to the forks.  Then you can raise the fender just enough to have adequate clearance.  I did this when I wrongly ordered the 110 tire and couldn't send it back.  I kinda like the bigger tire look.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:26:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 21 inch front wheel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.