Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
One Month:  A New Rider Rept (Lessons, Mods, (Read 43 times)
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
One Month:  A New Rider Rept (Lessons, Mods,
07/28/04 at 07:00:32

I am a new rider and it has been one month since I got my Savage (2004 purple).  I thought I would share how the month has gone.  If you are a new rider, maybe you can avoid some of my mistakes.  If you are an experienced rider, maybe you’ll learn something you can use when you are helping a new rider or maybe it will just be a trip down memory lane…

Why I Started Riding: I have been a happy passenger on my husband’s bike (Triumph Thunderbird) for several years.  Last fall he wanted to take the MSF course as a refresher and I decided to take it too.  I love adventure and thought it might be fun to learn how to ride.  The course was excellent.  I had so much fun I couldn’t stop smiling for days afterwards!  Seriously!  I loved the feel of the wind, leaning the bike (scraped the foot pegs twice in the class), and being in the driver’s seat.  Incidentally, I got a better score on the riding test than my husband who has been riding for almost 20 years.  Note to new riders: TAKE THE COURSE.  It will give you confidence, help you get your license, teach you useful things and save your butt more than once.  Besides, wouldn’t you rather drop their bike then yours?  More on dropping the bike later…

Why a Savage: I knew a 250 would be a poor choice for me given my penchant for performance, but needed a relatively light bike with a low seat height (I am 4’ 10” and just over 100 pounds).  I also wanted a bike that I could manage; that would be peppy and fun; that could keep up with my husband’s bike; and, that wouldn’t bore me after a week!  The Savage was the only bike that fit the bill for me.  I love the responsive handling, the low-end torque, the way it almost leaps into gear (in a good way), the sound and even the little backfire poofs.  This scoot has character!

Lessons learned in next post...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: One Month:  A New Rider Rept (Lessons, Mods,
Reply #1 - 07/28/04 at 07:02:34

Learning to Ride (First Two Weeks):  Started out in parking lots, practicing what I learned at the MSF course.  Was scary riding MY bike.  Amazed it was MY bike!  Did a lot of starts, stops, turns, figure eights, and riding in circles.  Because I live in a particularly hilly place with lots of curves, I also practiced starting on a hill and having to make a tight turn.  After two extended parking lot sessions, I was ready to head to a local park (has some traffic, but not much).  Did ok but ended up stalling at a stop sign and had trouble getting going again.  Cars behind me added pressure and highlighted my greatest problem.  My BIGGEST ISSUE was/is starting out smoothly into a turn.  I was afraid to give it too much gas as I did not want to shoot out and end up in the ditch on the other side of the road, so I tended not to give it enough gas and then the bike would buck and stall.  Dropped the bike because of this (see below).  I am getting better and what has helped me the most is learning to pull the clutch in if needed so that I don’t stall the bike.  Is only an issue in tight turns up or down a hill.  

In the beginning it was hard to remember everything – things that come so naturally to experienced riders.  Things like shifting smoothly, how to take a curve – decelerate before (if needed) so you can accelerate through the curve; using and TURNING OFF the turn signal; using both brakes evenly; and remembering that cars may not see me.  All are coming with practice and time.  Just a month in and I am much more competent.

Learning to Ride (Second Two Weeks):  Gradually have gotten more comfortable.  Am now riding in traffic, on major roads.  Took my first solo ride recently (during early riding, husband accompanied me on his bike).  I felt great riding on my own (the joy, the freedom!) but of course I still have a ton to learn.  Was reminded of this recently when we were riding over a bridge and saw a kayaker.  My husband was riding behind me.  We also kayak so I wanted him to see the kayaker.  I waved to the kayaker and then looked in my rearview mirror to see if my husband saw me.  Was just in a silly mood.  Well, next thing I know I look up and discovered I was awfully close to a guard rail (there was a slight curve in the road I had missed in my silliness).  It was close.  I was scared but recovered fine (my husband said he was sure I was going down).  A lesson to me:  PAY ATTENTION at all times!

Dropping the Bike:  Am bummed it happened but it did.  My driveway is on an incline and to get out of it, you have to make either a left-hand turn up a steep hill or a right turn down a steep hill.  The ditch on the other side is deep and surrounded by woods so not making the turn would be a very bad thing.  On my first official ride to the park (having graduated from parking lots) I stopped, made sure the way was clear and then tried to turn right.  I turned the fork because of the tight turn and proceeded to stall the bike.  It bucked and given that the fork was turned, I lost control and dropped the bike to the right.  ANOTHER LESSON to me: learn to pull the clutch in if needed to avoid stalling!  It is also worth mentioning that if I had been concentrating on leaning into the hill (like in skiing) I might have been able to keep the bike upright despite the stall.

I was very shaken, upset and mad but ok.  Protective gear worked well.  Love the gear (see below).  The bike has a small dent in the tank (courtesy of the handlebar), a scraped mirror, scarped foot peg and a broken rear turn signal.  The handlebars also twisted out of alignment.  My husband helped me fix the handlebars – we just took them off and realigned them.  

Funny story about our handlebar alignment job: when we were all done, we were putting back on the little plastic covers that go over the screws on the dogbone and my husband dropped one.  We heard “ting, ting, ting, tinkle, tinkle, tinkle”.  The darn thing rolled down the bike into the chrome engine cover right below the gas tank.  Of course, we did not know that was where it was.  Spent over an hour figuring it out and had our first “fun” experience taking off the gas tank.  Story is only funny now.  Was not funny then!

Joy, mods and gear in next post...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 07/28/04 at 07:04:27

The Joy:  How cool it is to ride; and to ride a Savage.  I love living in the moment, concentrating on the road, the feel and sound of the bike, the joy of curves, riding just to ride.  Do I sound hooked?  The gas mileage is cool too.  Later in the summer or early in the fall, when I have a little more experience, we are planning a long weekend trip on the bikes.  Destination not critical; the idea is to ride!

Bike Modifications:  This is a great bike “as is”, but there were a few things I knew I wanted to do.  My mods are currently in progress so more to report later, but here is the list: seat (custom mod); saddlebags (Suzuki bracket and Willie & Max bags); engine guard (Suzuki); and windshield (Memphis Shades Memphis Slim 15” is on order).  Note on the engine guard:  I wouldn’t buy this again – on the instructions from Suzuki at the bottom in small print it says something like “for decorative purposes only” and it did not protect anything when I dropped the bike.  Email me if you want to buy it – there isn’t a scratch on it!  

Details on the seat:  built a new seat using a hospital gel pad (the type they use for people who sit in wheelchairs all day long – was lucky enough to get one from someone my husband works with).  Am almost done with the comfort adjustments – next will be to recover the seat in purple leather to match the bike.  Have gotten rid of the back seat and we are building a fiberglass piece as a cover.  Planning to paint it to match the body.  Am also planning some lever adjustments to make them easier to manage for longer trips, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Gear:  Full-face helmet (HJC – have had it for a while so I don’t know the model); mesh PowerTrip jacket (love this); always wear pants; Harley boots (they fit); and I am having gloves custom-made for my itty bitty fingers (from Thurlow – should be here this week).  I will share thoughts on the gloves after I get them if anyone is interested.

Well, that’s it for now.  Hope my rambling is useful to someone and was at least entertaining.  Can you believe that plastic piece ended up where it did?!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/28/04 at 09:51:54

Wink Welcome to the Savage club.  I'm not being a smart-a-s-s, but why didn't you buy some old crappy bike to learn on and get comfortable, before buying a nice new bike.  I bought my 2001 a little used, and I had riding experience.  My next bike may be a new one, but after a few years of riding, I still consider myself a newbie.  Don't feel bad, though, my first bike was a $800 Suz 250 that was scratched up, and less than perfect, but it was perfect for learning because I wasn't too concerned with the look of it.  It was light and nimble and great for getting accustomed to clutching, and braking.  I had it 2 years before I moved up to a nicer, newer bike.  So far, I haven't so much as scratched the Savage, knock on wood.  Gotta go, but be careful, and we look forward to hearing about your next ride.  Keep the rubber side down.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #4 - 07/28/04 at 10:18:41

Thanks for the thoughts savagethumper.  And don't worry about being a smart-a-s-s.  All questions are good!  

I did look for a used Savage but couldn't find what I wanted, when I wanted it.  Also Savages seem to hold their value pretty well so the older ones in the shape I wanted weren't that much of a price break.  Besides maybe its a girl thing... but I love purple!   Cheesy

Ride often, have fun,  Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: One Month:  A New Rider Rept (Lessons, Mo
Reply #5 - 07/28/04 at 11:10:15

I saw the Suzuki engine guard and thought it looked kind of wimpy too.  I ordered one from Accessories International and just put it on last weekend.  It's probably much more like what you are looking for.  Try this: http://www.accessoryinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 07/28/04 at 14:26:08

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I am a new rider and it has been one month since I got my Savage (2004 purple).  I thought I would share how the month has gone.  If you are a new rider, maybe you can avoid some of my mistakes.  If you are an experienced rider, maybe you’ll learn something you can use when you are helping a new rider or maybe it will just be a trip down memory lane…

Why I Started Riding: I have been a happy passenger on my husband’s bike (Triumph Thunderbird) for several years.  Last fall he wanted to take the MSF course as a refresher and I decided to take it too.  I love adventure and thought it might be fun to learn how to ride.  The course was excellent.  I had so much fun I couldn’t stop smiling for days afterwards!  Seriously!  I loved the feel of the wind, leaning the bike (scraped the foot pegs twice in the class), and being in the driver’s seat.  Incidentally, I got a better score on the riding test than my husband who has been riding for almost 20 years.  Note to new riders: TAKE THE COURSE.  It will give you confidence, help you get your license, teach you useful things and save your butt more than once.  Besides, wouldn’t you rather drop their bike then yours?  More on dropping the bike later…

Why a Savage: I knew a 250 would be a poor choice for me given my penchant for performance, but needed a relatively light bike with a low seat height (I am 4’ 10” and just over 100 pounds).  I also wanted a bike that I could manage; that would be peppy and fun; that could keep up with my husband’s bike; and, that wouldn’t bore me after a week!  The Savage was the only bike that fit the bill for me.  I love the responsive handling, the low-end torque, the way it almost leaps into gear (in a good way), the sound and even the little backfire poofs.  This scoot has character!

Lessons learned in next post...

Sounds similar to our riding life....

In 2000 I wanted another bike, but this time I didn't want my spouse to be a passenger.  She had ridden 4 wheelers but never 2 by herself.  So I talked her (and myself) into 2 bikes.  A Savage and a GZ250 (great little bike).

I taught her all that I knew for months....really, I drilled her and was very defensive for her, and I worked her on practice drills feverishly (because I know road rash).  In the end she was ready for a step up and we got her a Savage in 2001....and then I got worried again, as she was riding too confidently with more power under her.  We enrolled in the MSF the next year because it is difficult to get an opening in NC.....

I had never taken the course in my 37 years riding, and she was a newbie....Wow, what a course.  Not only can you ride some else's bike for 20 hours, but it is fun too.  The instructors are great.

Anyway, I learned that I had developed many bad habits over the years, and Julie learned how to really handle the bike.  Bottom line?  We got the SAME score.  I lost points for going too fast through a curve (darn stop watch) and she lost points for stopping distance....2 points for each of us.  That was humbling for me, and a boost for her.  All in all it was great.

Now I only worry about her because she actually out rides me sometimes and she has never fallen....oh well, she's younger than I am  Tongue

PS - I am a real MSF advocate....take the course, you'll never regret it.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/28/04 at 20:30:47

Besides maybe its a girl thing... but I love purple!   Cheesy

Ride often, have fun,  Susan  

My significant other is the same way about purple.  She likes the color of my bike, though.  I guess I can let her inherit mine, and buy me a new S40 Boulevard.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #8 - 07/29/04 at 07:24:42

Greg, Thanks for the note and your support about the MSF course!  It was such a great thing.  I think every new rider should take it.  I learned so much in such a short time.  Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #9 - 07/29/04 at 11:35:04

Hello all. This is my first post. I am not even a new savage rider yet as I am putting my order in for one today and will get it next week.
I just took the riders course a couple weekends ago and it was very helpful.

thanks for the detailed description of your first month. I found it useful.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 07/29/04 at 11:56:44

Hey Junkboy!  I'm glad you found my ramblings useful.

My best advice to you is to practice, take it slow at least until you get comfortable, remember what they taught you in the MSF course, remember to TURN OFF your turn signal and have fun!  Susan

P.S. And learn from my silliness mistake -- the road can change in an instant so ALWAYS pay attention.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 07/29/04 at 15:04:44

Greg, Thanks for the note and your support about the MSF course!  It was such a great thing.  I think every new rider should take it.  I learned so much in such a short time.  Susan

The MSF wasn't around when I started riding, and I never thought that I NEEDED it.....

Not to mention that my "newbie then" spouse got to watch me lay mine down in some leaves one day before we took the course.  Nothing serious except scratches on the bike, my jeans, leather jacket and mostly my pride  Shocked

It was a good case of looking where I WASN'T going because I looked back to see where she was....(see, I included visual aids with my training program)  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 07/30/04 at 06:24:56

I hadn't ridden in about 14 years and heard about the MSF course through this and other bike forums I'd been reading.  I thought it'd be a good refresher.  It was even better.  I heartily recommend it to anyone who hasn't taken it.  I plan to attend the advanced course in a few months.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 07/30/04 at 08:21:48

Went on the highway for the first time last night.  It was ok except merging was a little scary and big bumps are a lot bigger at 65 mph.  Just kept focused and remembered what I learned in MSF class and it was fine.  Back country roads are a lot more fun but the highway was ok.  Still grinning everytime I get off the bike!  Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 07/30/04 at 08:24:09

"Still grinning everytime I get off the bike"... to clarify... probably grinning while I'm on the bike too, you just can't see it because of the full-face helmet.   8)

Loving riding!  Susan

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 20:29:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › One Month:  A New Rider Rept (Lessons, Mods,

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.