Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Backfiring please help (Read 121 times)
Elizabeth

Backfiring please help
06/16/04 at 10:39:22

???
My husband got me a 1999 Savage this past week.
My problem is it is backfiring when I let off the throttle to shift and when I shut it down.
We took it to a local Suzuki shop yesterday and the service guy there seems to think it is the baffels and told us to order a new pipe. He also said it seems to sound louder than it should, so husband ordered a Jaradine (?) but is not convinced  that is it for sure.
The bike has power when I ride it it is just that the backfiring is sooo anoying.  Can anyone help us with a solution. Thanks

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Re: Backfiring please help
Reply #1 - 06/16/04 at 13:27:51

Savages backfire! If you get the Jardine and rejet the carb that will fix it. They always backfire when you turn them off, they run very lean. They come from the factory that way because of the EPA regulations. The service guy should have known this. They have always been this way. The previous owner may have punched a hole in the baffle so maybe that's why he said it was louder than normal. By the way the Jardine slip-on pipe is much louder than the stock pipe. Sounds much better to me. If it's jetted correct you will like the increase of sound and an increase in power, especially in the mid range. I have a Raask drag pipe on my bike and I love it.  If you want to see what it looks like check out http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jendesigner/album?.tok=phh2bPBBkb4bi94S&.dir...

Congratualtions on your bike! It's a great bike!

Jen
  IP Logged
Elizabeth

Reply #2 - 06/16/04 at 14:00:41

Did you have your carb rejetted by someone or is this something you can do on your own?

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #3 - 06/16/04 at 14:08:37

I had my bike in for some other things so I brought them the pipe and they rejetted it. If you are handy it seems easy enough to do. Do you have a Clymers manual? If not, that should be your first purchase for the bike. There are plenty of people who rejetted who could help you. I'm helping a friend put a Harley muffler on her Savage this weekend, so I will have some experience after that.  Go to http://www.jonline.org/savage/ and check out his How-to section. He just added a Jardin slip-on. You will find that Savage owners are very helpful.

Jen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/16/04 at 14:33:40

The service guy doesn't know what he's talking about and it will rip you off buying a new pipe (especially for a '99).  It will still backfire.

As Jen said, they have done that since about 1995 when the carbs were changed.  It is a jetting thing.  Won't cause any problems for you, but it is annoying for some.  It is also easy to fix.

Also read an article in Rider magazine today that explained how to make changes to the idle mixture for the backfiring problem too.  Maybe the service guys should start reading more.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 06/22/04 at 14:18:43

I subscribe to Rider magazine, and I can't remember where I got the first issue (maybe from a dealer's mailing list)....anyway, it is from a May edition so it may be hard to find.

Basically Rider only echos the same fix that you'll read in all the Savage forums.  The later year Savages backfire...end of story.  It is because of the big single engine and changes made to satisfy the EPA requirements.  They leaned that puppy out....plain and simple.

To get rid of them, carefully drill out the brass plug on the right side of the carb and adjust the idle mixture screw.  This is the part mentioned in the Rider magazine.  This should help some of the closed throttle backfires.

For the other backfires, go to any Jap bike shop and ask for a #152 main jet for a Mikuni BS40 carb.  This will replace the #145 in yours.  (That should set you back about $3 or 4 bucks.)  The older Savages had a #155 but the carb was different too.....you will immediately notice a different tone in the exhaust, and when you ride there will be more mid range power.  As well, 95% of the backfires will be gone for good.....

I am assuming that you have a stock exhaust, so I don't recommend much more change for now.  Let me know how you do.  Ride safe.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 06/22/04 at 14:30:35

Oh yeah, if you get the Jardine (your husband is right to be wary), you might want to get a #155 main jet instead.

Whatever you do...do the rejetting at the same time that you change the exhaust....you run a real good chance of discoloring your new pipe if you don't.

IP Logged
Elizabeth

Reply #7 - 06/22/04 at 20:23:26

I've heard of ones using a #150 and you mention a #152. I got a #150 today but am sure if a #152 is better I can get one of those.
Which one is the best for the stock pipe? I am not changing right now.
Would like to know the best one before I tear it apart.
Thanks

IP Logged
Bob

Reply #8 - 06/22/04 at 22:01:39

I just bought a new 2004 and it only puffed a little when shutting off or once and a while a medium puff on deceleration.  at about 1000 miles the stock muffler develope a leak in the inner sleave near where the heat shield hooks on.  I could hear the leak and that's when the loud and often backfiring really became a problem.  I replaced the muffler with a SuperTrapp 4 inch megaphone slash cut.  The real easy and cheapest fix is to remove that little plastic washer that holds the needle down.  Backfires are completely gone, ridability or smoothness is way up, and response will jerk your head off.  Acceleration is like my old Intruder! No rejetting was needed with the SuperTrapp with the included 8 discs.  Sound is fantastic and deep. amy 2004 California model has a 155 main. That idle screw that was covered was just about right on.

IP Logged
Elizabeth

Reply #9 - 06/23/04 at 09:10:48

We have checked for leaks and there are none. Backfires mostly between 2, 3 and sometimes 4th.
When I roll off it dies on my. It acts like it is getting no gas but all air.  The washer has already been removed by a previous owner.
We have put in a new battery and ordered a new pod filter. I will put in a larger jet if it is only a #145 today.

IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/24/04 at 23:27:04

check  fuel line hose clamps could be sucking air . dont forget to check header pipe gasket :

IP Logged
Elizabeth

Reply #11 - 06/25/04 at 08:15:24

Took the carb back apart because it was puking gas out the overflow. Was a steady flow. The float is bad. Has a crack in one side. Soo had order a new one will be in on Tuesday.
Also I think a previous owner tried to get the pilot jet out to check and stripped it. It goes in on Wed to be looked at.
I will be checking the gasket later because if a new one is needed it will likely have to be ordered since the local Suzuki shop has nothing in stock for this bike. Almost feels link in the end the cost won't be much below the cost of a new one.. very disapointing for a first bike to say the least at this point. We haven't had it but for 2 weeks this Sunday.

IP Logged
maria
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/27/04 at 08:57:05

my bike backfires a lot especially when i shut down the throttle to brake on hills (quite a lot around here) - i have learnt to live with it - it used to backfire when i cut it off when i stopped, bug shot of flames and a thunder crack of a backfire but she doesn't do that anymore.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 06/28/04 at 14:02:36

Sounds like the previous owner did a little "learning" on your bike.  Don't be too hard on the dealer (I'm saying that?).  None of them stock a lot of parts anymore.  Years ago you could walk in and ask for a simple bolt, and dig through a box to find it...now a days, you have to order those too.

Was it puking gas when the bike was off?  If so then you had the petcock turned to the PRI position.  If it is in the ON or RES position the petcock is vacuum controlled and shuts off with the engine.  That doesn't change the cracked float, but it shouldn't leak (puke much) when the engine is off Shocked)

Elizabeth wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Took the carb back apart because it was puking gas out the overflow. Was a steady flow. The float is bad. Has a crack in one side. Soo had order a new one will be in on Tuesday.
Also I think a previous owner tried to get the pilot jet out to check and stripped it. It goes in on Wed to be looked at.
I will be checking the gasket later because if a new one is needed it will likely have to be ordered since the local Suzuki shop has nothing in stock for this bike. Almost feels link in the end the cost won't be much below the cost of a new one.. very disapointing for a first bike to say the least at this point. We haven't had it but for 2 weeks this Sunday.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 06/28/04 at 14:08:03

Interesting Shocked)  Must be some kind of "parental controls" going on....in my last post, I tried to use the correct name for the fuel "valve" on the tank, and it was changed to "petthingy"....cute.

Let's try this...p,e:t*c-o+c_k  Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 17:38:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.