Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil, Rejetting, Air filter, etc. (Read 12 times)
doppelganger
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Fort Wayne, IN
Oil, Rejetting, Air filter, etc.
11/29/05 at 15:50:30

Hi!  A couple questions.  I've read through a lot of the existing articles, and done some searches, but haven't found answers to everything yet.  Perhaps I missed some good posts; if so, please direct me to a post I might have missed.

Oil
I.  Does oil has a shelf-life?
I.A.  Assuming the answer to I) is "no," does it matter if it has been opened?

Oil Filter
II.  Is a K&N oil filter (KN-137) any improvement over the OEM filter or a typical OEM replacement?

Rejetting
III.  I put a Sportster muffler on my bike, and turned out the idle mixture screw, and now would like to rejet the carb.

My Suzuki dealer didn't have the Mikuni jets on hand, so they said they would have to order them.  The guy I talked to said they come in a pack of 4, so each one would be $10.  That means if I get two different size main jets and a larger pilot jet, I'd be spending ~$30 for what I take it should be ~$9.  I went online in search of individual jets for sale, and found this site:

http://www.sudco.com/mikunijets.html

Now my question is, which type do I need?  I found a post that said to use the Large Round type, or N100.604, for the main jet, but what about the pilot jet?

III.A.  It sounds like many people have had success with 152.5 or 155 for the main jet, so I figure I'll get both to try them.  How do I know if I should increase the pilot jet also?  Like I said, right now my bike (which is an '01, if it matters) is stock except the Sportster muffler.

III.A.1  If I swap my stock air filter for a drop-in K&N replacement (SU-6595), does that change the recommendation for main jet and/or pilot jet?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Oil, Rejetting, Air filter, etc.
Reply #1 - 11/30/05 at 06:15:52

I'm sure pretty much everything except maybe Twinkies has a shelf life but I don't know what that might be for motor oil.  I'd think it's probably fairly long.

I'm not familiar with the KN-137 but either the drop-in replacement or the pod-type K&N filter is an upgrade over the stock filter.  They allow better airflow, clean the air better and are cleanable/reusable.  If you use the drop-in replacement, I'd recommend removing the snorkel (air entry vent) from under the seat.  It'd probably even improve airflow when using a standard stock filter, for that matter.

There are better places to get the jets than that, for sure.  Most online sellers list them for about $3.25 to $4.50 each.  I was able to pick up several from my local HD dealership for $3 each.  Many HD's use Mikuni carbs too.  You'll wamt to ask for the large round main jets.  I believe you can use either type of pilot jet (BS30/96 or N151.067) but am not positive.  I think I have the BS30/96 in mine.  Anyone else with feedback on this one?

Try these for main jets:
JP Cycles
Recreational Leisure

So far as changing the pilot jet goes, you really only need to if you don't get enough adjustment out of your idle mixture screw.  I think most people don't need to change this; a few do.  I upped mine one size to a 55.

Upgrading from a stock air filter to a K&N will add air to your mixture (unless it's otherwise inhibited, like possibly your exhaust is a bottleneck) and you'll need more fuel to keep the right mix.  This may only mean changing the main jet.  With a K&N drop-in, snorkelectomy and a MAC muffler, I have been just fine with a 152.5 main.  The 157.5 was too rich and I saw no noticeable difference between the 152.5 and 155 except for worse mileage with the 155.  Of course, driving conditions and habits will cause this to vary.  You'll find your sweet-spot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Panther
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/06/05 at 10:00:43

So lets say that, I want to upgrade the air intake, with one of those flashy cone types, like the big choppers have, plus "debaffle" or upgrade my muffler on my 2006 S40, do I need to rejet, or could I leave the carb stock?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 12/06/05 at 12:12:27

About the oil shelf life- May be thre is, but I would not worry about it. It is not worthed to go to expensive oil filter.Just change Your oil more often. About the jets- below 3000 ft altitude with stock air filter -152.5. If You are using K&N-may be 155. For every 3000 ft going up - one size down on the main jet. The correct is big round Mikuni, but small round, Mikuni or Keihin- everything will do it. What You care about is how big the hole is. Just go to some aftermarket place. They will have one in stock.
DO NOT TOUCH THE PILOT JET UNLESS YOU ARE DOING SOME ABSOLUTELY RADICAL CHANGES !
Good luck!

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/08/05 at 11:40:24

I just ordered a 150 and a 152.5 from JP Cycles. I have a carb bowl gasket coming from Ron Ayers. I am going to wait til I have the gasket in hand before I do the teardown. I am looking for a different muffler than the Jardine. Should I wait til I change the muffler to mess with the jets?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 12/08/05 at 12:31:10

I have the MAC muffler and like it a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 12/08/05 at 16:12:22

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I just ordered a 150 and a 152.5 from JP Cycles. I have a carb bowl gasket coming from Ron Ayers. I am going to wait til I have the gasket in hand before I do the teardown. I am looking for a different muffler than the Jardine. Should I wait til I change the muffler to mess with the jets?

seems unlikely you'll need a carb bowl gasket - it's possible to rip the old one but's hard.

if you have a jardine on it now you need the jet, mixture, and spacer cut down.

read careful how to do this as the carb screws are real easy to strip - be a good idea for the stainless allen heads

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/09/05 at 12:57:47

I wasn't sure about the gasket, so I ordered one along with some other items from RON AYERS. Where do I find the stainless allen head carb screws? What size are they?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 12/09/05 at 13:41:24

I wasn't sure about the gasket, so I ordered one along with some other items from RON AYERS. Where do I find the stainless allen head carb screws? What size are they?

I got mine at the local Ace Hardware.  I don't recall the size.  Just take one of the originals with you and get the right size based on that.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 12/09/05 at 19:36:23

let me look around I believe 3zuks documented this

yep there it is - m5 10mm for the top plate and 15mm for the bowl

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 12/10/05 at 01:46:44

All the screws on my FCR are allen heads as standard, also the slide is on rollers.
Doesn't justify the cost though.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #11 - 12/10/05 at 18:49:44

OK, just rejetted.  PITA - had to remove the seat, left cover, battery, battery box, air-cleaner hose, pull the carb off the manifold to access float bowl screws.  They are 5mm dia, 17mm length (threaded), 0.8 threads per mm with captive lock washer.  Stock jets (2005 model,with Mikuni BS40) main = 145, using brass flat washer, pilot fuel = 52.5.  Replaced main with 152.5 (Sudco - OEM Mikuni, large round type, N100.604, No. 004-210. Replaced pilot fuel with type BS30/96, #55, No. 004-064.  This type has aeration bleed holes, unlike the OEM that is style N151.067.  Sudco didn't have the OEM style in #55.  Seems to work fine.  Now I can start and warmup without the choke and drive off without surging (lean stumbling) and significantly reduce the backfire when slamming the throttle shut at mid-range rpm.  Pilot air screw optimized at 2 turns open (anticlockwise).  One final note - the carb intake hose from the airbox has a small tab to locate / orient at the airbox clamp side, so be sure to set this right.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #12 - 12/11/05 at 06:38:07

doppelganger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Oil
I.  Does oil has a shelf-life?
I.A.  Assuming the answer to I) is "no," does it matter if it has been opened?

Don't worry about the oil shelf life - it's very stable and  it's  already millions of years old.  Smiley

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
dubb-1b
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/13/05 at 10:07:18

is this the right one that is highlighted or should it be a 004-201 instead of a 004-210 for a 152.5 main jet.rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
OK, just rejetted.  PITA - had to remove the seat, left cover, battery, battery box, air-cleaner hose, pull the carb off the manifold to access float bowl screws.  They are 5mm dia, 17mm length (threaded), 0.8 threads per mm with captive lock washer.  Stock jets (2005 model,with Mikuni BS40) main = 145, using brass flat washer, pilot fuel = [glow=red,2,300]52.5.  Replaced main with 152.5 (Sudco - OEM Mikuni, large round type, N100.604, No. 004-210. [/glow] Replaced pilot fuel with type BS30/96, #55, No. 004-064.  This type has aeration bleed holes, unlike the OEM that is style N151.067.  Sudco didn't have the OEM style in #55.  Seems to work fine.  Now I can start and warmup without the choke and drive off without surging (lean stumbling) and significantly reduce the backfire when slamming the throttle shut at mid-range rpm.  Pilot air screw optimized at 2 turns open (anticlockwise).  One final note - the carb intake hose from the airbox has a small tab to locate / orient at the airbox clamp side, so be sure to set this right.  Hope this helps.  

[glow=red,2,300] [/glow]

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 12/13/05 at 10:59:39

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:59:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil, Rejetting, Air filter, etc.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.