Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Super Brace (Read 30 times)
red2k1
Ex Member

Super Brace
01/11/05 at 18:27:50

A while ago I read on here about the merits or lack thereof of a fork brace. Cannot find the thread right now. The SuperBrace was recommended.

I live in a small town that is also home to a state university.  Sometimes the fates are supportive for a friend of mine heads the Department of Industrial Design and one of his classes was looking for a practical analytical project.  I brought up the fork brace and the notion of testing perception as to whether or not the brace made any difference in handling.  I will not bore you with the study design, but will say that four Savages were used with sixteen different riders. Finding sixteen riders was the most difficult part of the study. The Savages were all in the same state of tune etc.  The riders did not know what they were testing nor did they know if the bike was "modified."

The result: at a 0.01 level of signifigance it was the perception that the brace enhanced handling.

Following the study I purchased a SuperBrace and installed it on my 2002 Savage.  I engaged in the pretest, post-test thing over a measured course with various challenges and subsequent to that have ridden just under 300 miles with the brace.

Conclusion: for my '02 this is the first modification I should have made.  The brace turned my Savage into a different bike. Highly recommended, but pricey.

Thought you might like to know this experience.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Super Brace
Reply #1 - 01/11/05 at 21:53:12

How odd.  That thread IS missing.  I thought the original post was by Kropatchek.  I added a link to it last weekend.  

(being the nerd I am, I spend several minutes going thru my old posts...)

AHA!

Found it.  RKE wrote the initial mention.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 01/12/05 at 05:18:23

Nope.  This is it...  Our Accessories

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/12/05 at 06:10:37

What was the differences in handling with and without the fork brace?

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/12/05 at 12:01:43

threezukes,

Over the five mile test course the following are the top four reports:

1- a sense of increased steering stability especially over challenging surfaces (tracks better and responds to driver inputs consistently)
2- improved steering feel or feedback through the handlebars
3- decrease in vibration or pull when breaking
4- a general decrease in vibration as felt through the handlebars

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 01/20/05 at 05:43:21

This past weekend I happened to ride on some sections of freeway whose surface had been stripped in preparation for resurfacing.  If you've ever ridden on those, you know their grooves put rain grooves to shame.  I'd ridden on a different section of freeway a couple of months ago that had been stripped in the same way and there is a huge improvement in both feel and handling after installing the SuperBrace.  The wobble is greatly reduced.  I highly recommend this accessory (or a comparable one).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 02/11/05 at 20:34:51

Just put one on - if the weather holds, give it a go tomorrow - does add a rather "finished" look to the frontend

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 02/12/05 at 02:14:53

8)How 'bout a pic reelthing? The more I hear about the fork-brace the more I am intrigued!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #8 - 02/12/05 at 06:24:46

After reading about the Superbrace on the Accessories thread I went over to the website and checked it out. Seemed like a good addition so got one in last week. Haven't had a chance to test ride yet, still too much snow around. Seems to be everything that they say it is, nicely made with a high polish. Only took 15 minutes to install. Add this in with the sportster muffler, rejetting the main jet and clubman handle bars it looks like my '02 isn't quite the way Suzuki made it Grin. Now all that is needed is a fresh tank of gas and a warm weekend. Ride Safe

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 02/14/05 at 21:10:00

Well, we managed a great weather day, so out for a test of the superbrace. It seems to me steering becomes more precise, much more so on roads with an irregular surface, just feels better stuck to the pavement.
I'll give it  Smiley Smiley Smiley on performance and  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley on looks

IP Logged
rke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Netherland
Reply #10 - 02/15/05 at 04:24:44

I've had my forkbrace for 14 years now.

Before I bought the Savage I used to ride bikes with more performance. I've loved the handling of my Suzuki GT250 (in the 80-s, my second bike), and I hated the handling of my Honda CB750KZ, which I bought after I had an accident with the GT250. The dealer where I bought the Honda advised me a fork brace, so I bought one for my Honda. It was really a great improvement.....

Many years later my wife said to me: Let's buy a motorcycle, something like a Savage......  Angry

After riding on performancebikes like the Triumph Trophy, the Savage was a real nightmare. It steered like there was a piece of rubberband between me and my front-wheel.
But I remembered the improvement made with the forkbrace, so I bought the Savage. And I ordered a forkbrace too.

And.....

I've never regretted this purchase......
Nor the Savage or the forkbrace  Grin Grin Grin

Edit: typo's

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #11 - 02/15/05 at 04:37:55

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Just put one on - if the weather holds, give it a go tomorrow - does add a rather "finished" look to the frontend
http://www.mccserv.com/savage/dscf0016.jpg

Hi Reelthing,
I like the look of that front end, and those highway pegs... any chance to publish or send pics of them? I'm planning to make some arrangements and any ideas are welcome...
Thanks, and ride safe.

RW

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 02/16/05 at 05:39:52

Another pic of the highway pegs/superbrace

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #13 - 02/16/05 at 11:56:24

Looks good.   After what RKE said I may well have to get one.

My last bike, the RD350, handled like it was part of me.  It really did exactly what I expected it to do.

The Savage, while I've gotten used to it, still surprises me around tight turns and I've slowed my act down quite a bit.

I know it's supposedly a great handler for a cruiser, I've never really ridden a big cruiser to compare it to.  Makes me wonder...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #14 - 02/17/05 at 16:07:44

Does anybody have an idea what the four small screws that are on the top of the Superbrace are for? Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 08:02:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Super Brace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.