Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery: Maintenance Free vs The Stock YuMicron (Read 10 times)
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Battery: Maintenance Free vs The Stock YuMicron
01/11/05 at 18:02:43

I let the battery on my 2002 Savage get low on water, so it died about 7 weeks ago; I pulled it out, and saw that it was only about 65% full. Filled it up, put it on the tender and charged it. Worked fine. Since then we've had a few really cold weeks here in NYC area, with temps to the low 30's.

I'm original owner, got the bike 8/02. The battery is the original stock battery, YUASA YuMicron Battery Type: YB14L-B2. So the battery is that old, plus whatever months the bike sat waiting to be sold.

I park outside, not near any electricity (unless you have a mile long extension cord) so an ongoing trickle charge is not possible. The only way to charge a battery is to pull it out and take it inside with me.

With this occurance, I will charge the battery and ride for service because I'm due for an oil change, and I had a minor oil leak at the cylinder head. So while that is all being checked out, I'll  have them do a test on the battery. I expect I will need a new battery, which leads to the point of all this: should I
  • stick with the same YUASA YuMicron Battery Type YB14L-B2 which requires checking the water level (and which you all know is a pain in the patootie!), or
  • get the High Performance, Maintenance Free Battery YTX14AHL-BS which is sealed and requires less care.
I'm thinking of going to the maintenance free battery, and wondered if anyone already has, or is also thinking of the same.

Thank you for any comments.

Gerry

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Re: Battery: Maintenance Free vs The Stock YuMicro
Reply #1 - 01/11/05 at 18:42:59

I have not used a maintenance free battery in a bike but from what I have read on other forums, they are worth the extra $.  

If you do stick with the stock battery, look into getting a solar trickle charger.

WWW   IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/11/05 at 19:27:01

Solar Trickle charger? Sounds interestiing.... I never heard of it and a quick google search gave me this Solar Trickle Charger at JCWhitney.

What a great idea! I guess I could somehow rig a way to keep the solar panel on top of the motorcycle cover which is chained to the lightpost.

Very interesting....

Thanks!

Gerry

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/12/05 at 05:22:57

I've seen those but have never known anyone that used one.  I'd be interested to hear some firsthand experience and thoughts on both quality and usability.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #4 - 01/12/05 at 17:24:07

Chench53 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Solar Trickle charger? Sounds interestiing.... I never heard of it and a quick google search gave me this Solar Trickle Charger at JCWhitney.

What a great idea! I guess I could somehow rig a way to keep the solar panel on top of the motorcycle cover which is chained to the lightpost.

80mA, 12V charger that runs off light for only $40?  That is not much more than a electric Trickle Charge Jr

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/13/05 at 17:38:51

Yeah, I was talking to a coworker who has a few really old bikes in a non-electrified, non-heated garage and they all keep dying due to infrequent use, storage in the cold I guess. Their landlord doesn't want messy wires running out there. I showed him this and he seemed interested. I'll have to find out if he eventually gets a solar trickle charger.

I've been thinking how to incorporate it into a motorcycle cover, or where to situate it. If it works in cloudy weather, what about if it were positioned on the side. Of course, problem is when I ride off, either I leave cover chained to lightpost, or I take cover with me, or, I ride to my car and toss it in the trunk, then have to stop at car, retrieve cover before parking bike again...

I'm getting dizzy........ LOL.....

I did think more about the two batteries. I thought well, my car is maint-free... and that did it! I'm calling the Suzi dealer tomorrow to see if they have one in stock, if not I'll check other shops.

I want to ride this weekend!!!!!

Gerry

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/13/05 at 18:39:28

You may find this battery link helpful.

http://www.batteryweb.com/motorcyclebatteryactivation.cfm

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/14/05 at 03:25:48

Thanks red. Smiley

Gerry

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 01/15/05 at 07:45:43

And here is another idea that somebody gave in a different forum. When You service the battery, connect one 8" piece of serious wire /gauge 6 for example/ to the "+"  therminal. Put a twist connector at the end to prevent a short . You can use it to connect a charger ot to jump start the bike. Now every thumper I work on gets one of these.
About the battery- if the service-free one isn't terribly expencive it will be a better decidion in a long run. You will forget about the money in a week, but You  will enjoy the difference couple of years.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 01/15/05 at 22:18:42

Let me put a plug in for a battery I purchased last year.  It is an Odyssey brand battery that is a DRY CELL BATTERY.  No fill, no maintenance at all, forever, with a life span of 7-10 years if taken care of...ie trickle charge if left sitting for any length of time during the off season.  Since the cells are dry, it can be mounted upright as usual, on it's side, or even upside-down if you like.  It is lite weight and comes in most any size.  I bought mine on Ebay for about $64.  You can go the company website and pay about $120, or to a catalog or m/c dealership and pay $170...your choice.  There is a TV commercial about a guy in a DEMOLITION DERBY, who takes his battery out of the wrecked car and puts it into his street truck afterward and drives away...the battery is supposed to be tough...this is the same battery, but sized for a motorcycle.  The one I bought was for the big V-twins so you know it will spin up a Savage just fine.  Take a look at it and research the manufacturer.  I think it is the best battery made...period.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/16/05 at 06:18:48

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Let me put a plug in for a battery I purchased last year.  It is an Odyssey brand battery that is a DRY CELL BATTERY.  No fill, no maintenance at all, forever, with a life span of 7-10 years if taken care of...ie trickle charge if left sitting for any length of time during the off season.  Since the cells are dry, it can be mounted upright as usual, on it's side, or even upside-down if you like.  It is lite weight and comes in most any size.  I bought mine on Ebay for about $64.  You can go the company website and pay about $120, or to a catalog or m/c dealership and pay $170...your choice.  There is a TV commercial about a guy in a DEMOLITION DERBY, who takes his battery out of the wrecked car and puts it into his street truck afterward and drives away...the battery is supposed to be tough...this is the same battery, but sized for a motorcycle.  The one I bought was for the big V-twins so you know it will spin up a Savage just fine.  Take a look at it and research the manufacturer.  I think it is the best battery made...period.

That's a "dry" cell and not a "gel" cell battery, right?  Is it possibly shorter (less tall) than the stock one too?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 01/16/05 at 10:09:52

Putting on my Skeptical Technician Hat I did a little checking and found that a gel cell battery *is* classified as a "dry" cell battery.

The Yuasa High Performance, Maintenance Free battery for the Savage is the YTX14AHL-BS rated at 12AH / 210 CCA.  It is 5 5/16" x 3 1/2" x 6 9/16".

The Odyssey PC545 is rated at 12AH / 170CCA -- a little less (not that you will be drawing  210 or 170 amps thru the Savage's wiring!)  It is 7" x 3.37" x 5.17" so it probably will physically fit in the stock location -- on it's side as it's length is 7" while the Yuasa is 6.57" tall.

The Odyssey is a tougher battery, designed to last longer under greater abuse, with a claimed weight of 5.7kg. vs. the Yuasa's 3.5kg..

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 01/16/05 at 10:28:26

The Odyssey is a DRY CELL, not a gel cell, and the one I have was just slightly larger than the stock battery...it seems like the length was about 1/2" longer.  I thought it was about 6 3/4", but I could be wrong..........I found the brochure that came with the battery.  It is the PC545 and the stated size is:  L=7 1/32",  D=3 13/32", H=5 3/16".  Essentially what Paladin posted.  
I did not have a problem with the mounting since I had already removed the entire air box and all but the base mounting plate for the battery.  I use a couple of small bungee's to hold it for now until I move it back and up into the corner of the frame by the rear fender.  A dry cell creates a few options for mounting which are not possible with a standard battery.  I like it.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #13 - 01/16/05 at 18:29:32

Quote:
author=http://www.recoverygear.com/odysseyquestions.html

Are these gel cells? What's the difference?
No, the ODYSSEY® is NOT a gel cell. It is an absorbed electrolyte type battery, which means that there is no free acid inside the battery; all of the acid is kept absorbed in the glass mat separators. These separators serve to keep the positive and negative plates apart.
The key difference between the gel cell and the absorbed glass mat (AGM) cell lies in the fact that in the AGM cell (such as the ODYSSEY®), all of the electrolyte is in the separators, as opposed to the gel cell where the acid is within the cells in a gel form. In fact, if the ODYSSEY® battery were to split open, there would be no acid spillage! That is why we call the ODYSSEY® a dry cell!
And the page I previously cited:
Quote:
author=http://www.nlectc.org/txtfiles/batteryguide/ba-type.htm

2.1.2 Wet vs. Dry

"Wet" cells refer to galvanic cells where the electrolyte is liquid in form and is allowed to flow freely within the cell casing. Wet batteries are often sensitive to the orientation of the battery. For example, if a wet cell is oriented such that a gas pocket accumulates around one of the electrodes, the cell will not produce current. Most automobile batteries are wet cells.

"Dry" cells are cells that use a solid or powdery electrolyte. These kind of electrolytes use the ambient moisture in the air to complete the chemical process. Cells with liquid electrolyte can be classified as "dry" if the electrolyte is immobilized by some mechanism, such as by gelling it or by holding it in place with an absorbent substance such as paper.

The Odyssey, is not a gel cell, but it is a lead-acid battery.  It is not a dry cell that it uses a solid or powdery elecrolyte -- it is a "dry" cell in that it has the liquid elecrolyte immobilized.  Not by being made into a gel, but by being held absorbed in a glass mat.

If I was dirt riding it would be in my dirt bike (especially if the dirt bike was a Savage Scrambler  Shocked .)   If I were in the frigid North where the long shelf life and ability to function below freezing mattered I would consider one.  If you can get one cheap it would make for a worry free battery; even if it is not quite sized to fit the stock battery box.  It also has the ability to take a fast charge that would toast a gel cell.

While interesting, IMO it is overkill for a California street bike that will never be parked for more than a couple of days.   I'll be sending off for a Yuasa High Performance Maintenance Free (YTX14AHL-BS) in a week or two.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #14 - 01/16/05 at 18:32:47

Chench53 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Yeah, I was talking to a coworker who has a few really old bikes in a non-electrified, non-heated garage and they all keep dying due to infrequent use, storage in the cold I guess.....

The Odyssey Drycell (tm) batteries, according to the maker, should sit all winter and still retain starting power.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:41:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery: Maintenance Free vs The Stock YuMicron

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.