Send Topic Print
New "saddlebags" (Read 27 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
New "saddlebags"
11/23/04 at 11:45:31

Technically they are not really saddlebags as they are not pouches and do not hang over the rear wheel.  They are hard panniers that only look like leather, hence the name, LeatherLyke.

Mounting involved removing the seats and rear fender rails, disconnecting and removing the rear turn signals. Mount the rear turn signals on the provided bracket, remove license plate and remount with the turn signal backet now attached tothe license plate bracket. Snake wires thru the center hole of the turn signal bracket, wraptie to tail light wires. Remove grommet, snake a thin wire alongside the taillight wires, attach to turn signal wires and pull back thru the same path as the tail light wires. Enlarge center hole of grommet and replace. Stretch tail light wires with provided wire/splices and reconnect. Test. Re-reconnect correctly (it's a 50-50 chance unless you label, and easier to reconnect than to label.)

The bags mount on pairs of studs. The rear studs mount to the fender rails in place of the turn signals. The front studs replace the upper of the two forward fender rail mounting bolts. Once the fender rails are back on replace the seat, lube the studs with the supplied lube and slip the bags on. Lock the bags on with the clips on their leather retention straps. The bags rest against the rear springs with a nylon rub strip. The bags are rated for 20 pounds each.

I can now carry my Hat while riding. Grin

added 11-27, per Diane's suggestion:

The bags were purchased on line direct from the manufacturer, Hoese for $429.95 (plus shipping.)  Other places also carry the LeatherLykes, but all the one's I found asked the same price as Hoese.

The bags have made my Thumper into a very handy shopping cart.  Yesterday I carried: left bag: 5 Liter box of Peter Vella White Zinfandel: right bag: two 8-oz tubs f Cool Whip, a 2 pound summer sausage, a box of Hearty Wheat crackers, 2 small jars of turkey gravy.  (also the usual paperwork a couple of CDs, old reciepts, the basic automobile glovebox junk.)

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: New "saddlebags"
Reply #1 - 11/23/04 at 12:28:13

Those look great.  I just looked 'em up and they are very nice bags...  lined and lockable.  Gratz!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 11/23/04 at 13:43:42

those metal tassel holders should leave some sweet marks on the cages as you split the lane down hawthorne blvd.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 11/23/04 at 14:24:26

8)Those new paniers look great! Is that a Nat. Cycle Flyscreen ya have on there? How do you like it? Just picked one up for my Savage ... should have it in a couple of weeks ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #4 - 11/23/04 at 15:23:03

The lining is a glued on 1/8" layer of medium density foam.  Enough that an item bouncing around inside should not damage the outer case.

Lockable storage is good.  However, unlike soft bags, the size and shape is fixed -- you can't stretch it to fit an oversized item.  If something doesn't fit it simply does not fit.  Stopped by the store to get some crackers for the wife, they were on sale.  Measured the bags, bought 10 boxes.  Did not take in account that toward the front of the bike the interior of the bags have a protrusion to match the exterior notch for the springs.  Only 4 boxes per bag fit, the last two rode home tucked behind the flyscreen.

And yes, that is a National Cycle Flyscreen, model N2550.  view, view.  Last time I rode screenless at 65+ was in the early '80's -- but I seem to recall the wind trying to shove me off the bike.  Doesn't happen with the flyscreen, but only just.  There is still a lot of wind.  I like it a lot.

About the only thing I need now is a decent horn.  (I use the horn about once a decade, but when I do I want to be noticed.)

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 11/23/04 at 15:25:10

i use a horn from a cage.  scares the crap out of people. picked it up for 6 bucks at shucks. mounted it in same spot..  works great.  Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #6 - 11/23/04 at 15:55:20

I read that the European Savages have the horn mounted on the fork.  I was thinking of mounting below the headlight or coming off my Flyscreen clamps.  Kragen has 138 db hi/lo horns.  For testing I have a set of horns from a '76 LTD in the Camaro that I can borrow.

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #7 - 11/24/04 at 05:25:38

A friend has a set of those on his Harley (The LeatherLykes).  They ~are~ pretty nice.  While not expandable, the rigid form leads to much better organization and makes it a lot easier to find stuff.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 11/24/04 at 06:12:11

Paladin......... Thats a lot of trouble just to carry a hat.  And I have one question.  Did your wife expect you to come home with 10 boxes of crackers Shocked ?

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #9 - 11/24/04 at 08:07:31

The hat is my trademark.  Started about 15 years ago when Wendy gave me a black Stetson for Christmas.  XXXX fur felt, very soft.   Took to wearing it constantly.

You are obviously too young to remember, but Have Gun -- Will Travel was a very popular show running six seasons -- from Sept. 1957 to April, 1963.  My father looked quite a bit like Paladin and had a silver chessknight on his service holster.  I also look a lot like Paladin and once I had the hat the name stuck.

The Stetson died, and has been replaced by a Henschel which, while not a nice, is far more durable.  I am not comfortable outside without my hat, which helps at work.

I am the telephone man for the telephone company.  I install and maintain our internal communications.  Mostly in the call center in Torrance.  Working on a trouble I will set my hat on the monitor.  Then, as I roam around looking for the trouble I have no hat -- no hat means I am on a job so don't bother me.  If I do get distracted and forget what I was working on I cannot leave the building -- no hat, uncomfortable outside.  Go find the hat and finish fixing the trouble.

When someone *claims* to work for SBC I will not believe it until I see an sbc.com e-mail address.  You can reach me at paladin@......   8)

As for the crackers, yeah -- Triscuits, normally about $3 a box, were on sale at 4 for $5.

Normal cruisers are V-Twins.  Savage riders are not normal.

----------------------------------------------------------
p.s.  for you, Diane

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 11/24/04 at 09:02:51

Wow Paladin ... you sure are a dead ringer for ... er well ahh Paladin!
And that's the truest statement I've heard yet on any m/c related Forum; "Savage Riders are not normal" ... I too resemble that remark!
We should all be very proud of the unique bunch of individuals (and I stress the word individuals) hangin' out here!
Ride Safe evryone (well at least those lucky enough to be living where you can still Ride ...)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #11 - 11/24/04 at 10:33:54

Oh man, I stepped in it on that one.  Lips Sealed  I was only joking about the hat.  Take it anywhere you want and I do remember Paladin.  (ahhh but just barely)  I watched all those western shows Maverick, Bat Masterson, and what was the name of the one with Steve McQueen?  Wanted Dead or Alive maybe?   OMG This is gonna haunt me all day.  You stop on the way home this evening and get some cheese to go with those crackers.

Back on the Saddle bag subject..... I will be getting some for Christmas along with the mounting brackets.  I may need you guys to walk me through mounting them after I am permited to open the packages.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #12 - 11/24/04 at 16:30:54

You are not yet senile, it was "Wanted, Dead or Alive"

Which bags are you getting, or is it a surprise?

WWW   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #13 - 11/24/04 at 21:58:48

No it's not a suprise.  I picked out exactly what I wanted and found the web site with the best price.  In fact they were delivered today and he let me open the box and make sure they were right.

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Cruiser_Saddle_Bag...

After fooling with buckles on my fork bag I decided "no more buckles".  I hate them.  But I also didn't want to go hog wild on really expensive leather bags (btw....yours look great).  The Tour Masters have  velcro closure, rip it open, stick it shut.  They seem to be sized right for the Savage.  They do look good, not that cheesey shiney kind of nylon, nice leather trim, neoprene on the back side.  I think I'm really gonna like them.  Hope my daughter will get me the matching fork bag.  I will post a pic when I get them on the bike.  After Christmas of course.

Back to old westerns........ Wow I can't believe I remembered "Wanted Dead or Alive".  I was 2 yrs old when it debuted and 5 when it ended.  Well, I always was a Steve McQueen fan.  Can't count how many times I have seen The Magnificent Seven.

2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #14 - 11/24/04 at 22:35:20

I like the carry handles...  arrive at your motel, unzip the bags from the bike and check them in.

Going thru the gallery I noticed Tony's saddlebags -- very tall.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 07:09:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New "saddlebags"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.