Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag recommendations? (Read 26 times)
2wheelingwoman
Ex Member

Saddlebag recommendations?
09/26/04 at 19:30:06

Now that I've got my Savage (and LOVING it!), I'd like to add some saddlebags so I could use it more frequently for trips around town, runnings errands, etc.  I watched a used set just go for $187 on eBay this afternoon.  Yikes!   Shocked    A bit out of my budget.  Sad

Any recommendations on either types of saddlebags that will fit the 2002 650, or vendors you've been happy with or any "gotchas" to avoid in purchasing and/or installing saddlebags?  Any pros or cons you've found to saddlebags versus strapping a bag to the passenger seat?

Thanks for the input!  It's great to be able to get real advice from people who KNOW what they're talking about.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Saddlebag recommendations?
Reply #1 - 09/26/04 at 21:41:20

You say the savage is a little lacking in luggage capacity, eh?

The guy I bought my Savage from threw in a fabric bag about 15" cube that he bungeed to the pillion.  It served him fine for three or four years.

On the ugly side you could fabricate some L-brackets to bolt a milk crate to/over the pillion.

In another thread someone extended the factory luggage rack to take a $50 (or so) lockable travel trunk.

I've looked at some saddlebags on used bikes -- floppy, droopy, uglier than the milk crate solution.  No idea of brand or quality or maintainance records.

While a bit more than the $180 you're balking at, I'm looking at the LeatherLyke "saddlebags."   Lockable hard panniers actually -- factory fitted to the Savage with quick and easy on/off.  Playing around in PaintShopPro to get an idea of what I am working toward  (bag size/placement approximate, they had no pictures available):

Also thinking about removing the pillion and rear pegs -- I don't do passengers.

WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 09/27/04 at 07:14:50

I have Willie & Max saddlebags ($84 at ClassicCruiser with free shipping). Underneath, I have the regular Suzuki saddlebag brackets, which I think were about $50 from the dealer. The bags are a good fit for the bike.  I'll take a picture soon and add it here. Here is a link for the bags:

Willie & Max Deluxe Compact Slant Saddlebags at ClassicCruiser.com

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
dfortner
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/27/04 at 14:53:24

I've bought some cheap leather stuff for our bikes, here are a couple of places. Please note that they aren't the best stuff, but they do work and they are afforadable.

http://www.jilliandistributors.com/ (see second page under "Motorcycle Leather")
http://www.bransonwholesale.com/

Hope this helps.

Dave Fortner

IP Logged
2wheelingwoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/27/04 at 15:35:52

Thanks for the recommendations.

I just don't think I could do the milk-carton solution, no matter how desperate I get for hauling space.  Just too ugly.  My bike probably wouldn't start, due to the embarrassment.  Wink

I'm going to follow up on the links from Susan and Dave, both seem to have some bags I can afford after spending most of my dollars on the bike itself.   I don't need any 'show quality' stuff right now, just something to stash stuff in.  

Paladin, someday I'd love to pursue the locking pannier option, so keep me posted about how it goes.  Lots of places around here (LA) stuff gets stolen before you can even slow down.   Sad   Something that locks would be great.

Today I bungeed on a little soft-side pack I scrounged up, and was able to pick up a couple of things at the grocery store and some fabric for my quilting project, and it worked out OK.  Where there's a will, there's a way, right?  I could have opted to take the car, but where's the fun in that??

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #5 - 09/27/04 at 16:22:15

I still have not found the "perfect" bags for my savage.....been looking around, and figure if I am gonna get bags, i want maximun capacity, without compromising style.

For the time being I purchased a 15" x 15" bungie net, for less than $10 at an automotive store. When I go away overnight, or for a long day trip, I uses this net, to bungie a napsack to my back seat.You would be surprised how tight these bungie nets hold your gear..

I then wear another napsack over my shoulders, with a chest harness. It works great, because the one i wear sits on the bungied one, so i even forget I have it on, even with 40 plus pounds of junk in it.........Can cary a lot of gear using this method....

BUT....

Make sure the 2 napsacks match, or the gold wing riders will snub ya.....lol.(kidding)..............
cheers.........Michael

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 09/27/04 at 21:42:12

I did the first two days of the MSF course last Thursday/Saturday.  Next/last two this week.  Then they send me my certificate.  Then a visit to the DMV, a phone call to the insurance man, and I can start riding.  (Legally.  Been riding off and on since '64.)

Will just bungee my laptop case to the bike for the commute to work.  I want the hardcases, the wife wants a new dishwasher.  Guess which wins?

As for looks and comments from others -- hey, it's a Thumper.  It's getting looks and comments anyhow.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 09/28/04 at 03:06:55

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
<snip>
Also thinking about removing the pillion and rear pegs -- I don't do passengers.

If you're going to remove the rear pegs, here is an idea.  Removed, ground flat, welded, Bondoed, and painted.  What pegs?  I don't do passengers, either.

BTW, you have to remove the rear wheel to get the bolts out.

IP Logged
LittleRedster
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/28/04 at 10:30:05

I have the same Willie & Max compact slant bags that Susan has, I think.  They're perfect for around town.  In addition, when I need more space, I have a "Biker's Friend" which bungees onto the pillion.  It's formed out of molded plastic so it's rigid, and detaches easily.  It also serves as a backrest which is really nice on those longer trips.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/description.htm

Cheryl

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/28/04 at 10:41:27

It's a little late in the season but I've found that I get the best deals on leather goods at the swap meet/runs that I go to.  I picked up my bags for $55.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/28/04 at 21:18:45

I have the Willie and Max bags that were mentioned earlier.  They can be seen in the pics in the link below my message.  They can hold about a 12 pack of Cokes in each bag.  I can easily carry anything I need for work plus a little jacket.  I have the Suzuki brackets, too.  I am thinking about buying a backrest bag I saw at a bike supply store in Arlington.  It's tube shaped, and has a backrest indention on the side.  It straps to the bracket, and holds quite a bit of stuff.  Kinda pricey, though.  Almost $175.  I also have a HD fork bag, that I picked up for $25 at the HD dealership.  It holds all my tools, a flashlight, extra bulbs, and a few other little items.  I ran the leather strap around the base of the headlight, so it wouldn't ride down and scratch the fender.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/29/04 at 02:38:38

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
.... I ran the leather strap around the base of the headlight, so it wouldn't ride down and scratch the fender.  

Good point  Shocked

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 09/29/04 at 05:23:12

LittleRedster wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have the same Willie & Max compact slant bags that Susan has, I think.  They're perfect for around town.  In addition, when I need more space, I have a "Biker's Friend" which bungees onto the pillion.  It's formed out of molded plastic so it's rigid, and detaches easily.  It also serves as a backrest which is really nice on those longer trips.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/description.htm

Cheryl

Cheryl, Which size did you get and do you have a picture of it on your bike?  What a great idea for traveling!  Thanks.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pat B
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/29/04 at 06:03:20

I have the Tour Master Cruiser 2 slant bags, medium size.

They work great, and hold all that I need for work.  If I remember they were like $130.  I got them locally, so no web deals.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #14 - 09/29/04 at 07:47:27

Greg do You do Your own welding.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 20:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag recommendations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.