Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wiring trouble (Read -1 times)
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
wiring trouble
02/06/07 at 20:09:29

i have just made a whole new wiring harness , going by the stock diagram. It need it . My problem is that i have power to the decomp. soleniod and side stand relay and head light but not to the taillight. there is not sound coming from the starter or anything else,no spark either. I have traced all the wires they seem to be in the right place but I dont know what to do Im in a rut. Help please.

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: wiring trouble
Reply #1 - 02/06/07 at 20:15:08

assume you tried to follow that diagram - both fuses good?

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #2 - 02/06/07 at 20:16:22

yep

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 02/06/07 at 20:27:19

pull 1 out at a time see what you lose

by the way do you have all the front lights - blinkers ,horn, and high beam - the brake light work from the lever or foot ?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/06/07 at 20:30:22

Ground connections?  That harness is a mess of interconnected ground wires (B/W).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/06/07 at 23:01:07

In order to locate a problem we were taught the "Half Split" troubleshooting method. The idea was to go to half way between the source & the destination of any voltage or signal & put it on the wire there. If you aren't getting power to the starter, unhook the starter & hook a 12 volt light to the wire, go to about 1/2 way from the starter switch &put 12 volts in the wire, using a sharp probe or at a connector. I found on the LS650 a way to start the thing easily was to put 12 volts directly to the decomp solenoid  timer/cobtroler. The connector under the seat, above the carb, the ( I think) lower, center wire is the one I used. It's easy to find on the diagram. It wouldnt start all the time, now I can always start, even if the switch won't make it turn over. You can find bad connections & busted wires with the 1/2 split method. real easy stuff.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 02/07/07 at 00:39:54

cFLOW wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
i have just made a whole new wiring harness , going by the stock diagram. It need it . My problem is that i have power to the decomp. soleniod and side stand relay and head light but not to the taillight. there is not sound coming from the starter or anything else,no spark either. I have traced all the wires they seem to be in the right place but I dont know what to do Im in a rut. Help please.

How did you make connections? Automotive crimp splices, solder joints and heat shrink? Use all the original plastic molex connectors, or just trash them and wire straight? Just curious...

As for troubleshooting, it is just a matter of circuit by circuit isolation and point to point fault finding. Using jumpers, a test light, and a DVM will tell you about anything you need to know. The key is "isolation." How far is the current going in any given circuit? Does that next switch or connector conduct good? Does the 'load' on that circuit branch have a really good ground?

And whatever you do... don't let the magic smoke out! Keep all those free electrons inside the electricical hoses.

And Greg is right, any system that uses multiple ground points begs to have the ground system double checked... twice.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/07/07 at 05:39:36

I concur....

When I rewired my harness (to move all the stuff under the seat), I found all those grounds to be impossible.  I did it with solder connections and heat shrink, but I couldn't bring myself to put all those grounds back together.  So out of the whole mess, I made 4 new ground connections with a bolt tapped into the frame backbone.  

On the left side...

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #8 - 02/07/07 at 05:59:34

Thanks for all the advice, I stayed up until about one a.m. tracing wires. I didnt even think about the grounds not being ground  . I will check power at the grounds today. I crimped and solders the main joints then shrink wrapped them and solder most everything else and shrink wrapped them also.

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #9 - 02/07/07 at 15:13:55

Got it It was the ground once I grounded it. It fired right up thanks guys

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper