Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Steering Stem & New Drag Bars (Read 71 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Steering Stem & New Drag Bars
05/19/06 at 13:53:08

Okay guys,

I picked up a cheap set of flat bars from an 87 Savage not long ago and was thinking about swapping out my buckhorns for the flat to see what I thought.  I started thinking about risers and went and reviewed the things that have changed post to see if it might note a difference (even though that's not actually a year model difference.  Anyway, I found nothing there and started looking at the fiche on RonAyers and it appears the models with the flat bars have risers/extensions added (though they call them "arms" instead of risers) while the buckhorn models just have the clamps without risers.  While this seems logical, I wanted to confirm it is actually the case.  Does anyone have an 87 with stock flat bars who can confirm/deny this?  RonAyers wants $43.xx for each one of the two needed and I'm thinking that's not worthwhile to me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
kstewy
Ex Member

Re: Steering Stem Question
Reply #1 - 05/19/06 at 14:10:00

i've got an 87 with with the stock flat bars. i'll take some measurements for you and post them probbally tomorrow. my kid has a cubscout campout tonight and i have to be there right after work. let me know exactly what measurements you need (from top of tripple trees etc.) and i'll get them back to you.

IP Logged
kstewy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/06 at 07:59:40

from the top of the triple trees to the center of the bars is 4 1/2 in.. triple trees, riser, and then clamp. hope this helps you, it is a different feel to the ride not as laid back so on longer rides 100 mile or more i get a stiff back. i think it has a little more control feel especialy on some nice curvey roads.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/21/06 at 04:50:59

You can get a very nice set of risers from Jireh Cycles ( www.jirehcycles.com ) for just $39.99...part #34-119, page 4-11 in their catalog.  By the way, their catalogs are free.

If you get these risers, or any riser for that matter, just go to the hardware store and get a set of bolts and washers of appropriate size and bolt them up.   Very easy to do.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/22/06 at 20:41:34

Thanks kstewy. Just the fact that it has risers confirms what I thought.  I appreciate your time.  Thanks Michael, I'll take a peek at my latest Jireh catalog.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/04/06 at 18:17:19

Well Michael, I ordered that exact set.  They are very nice indeed.  The bolts required are 1/2 inch diameter 2.75 inch long (if you want to retain the stock bushings, which I did) and the solid chrome bolts were $3.49 each at Ace Hardware (Home Depot and Lowes didn't have any stainless or chrome in that size) - but they are excellent quality.  Below are a few observations when adding these risers and replacing the buckhorn bars with flat bars from a 1987 Savage...

1)  You need to drill out the metal housings on the stock rubber bushings to accommodate the larger bolts.

2)  The flat bars from the '87 don't have holes in them for the nubs on the housings for the electrical switches.  You have to drill those.

3)  The master cylinder on my '98 has the line connection on the left side whereas the '87 has it on the front (this has been discussed before).   I would point out that the risers interfere with it to the point that I may require aftermarket mirrors.  It barely manages to fit enough for the levers to be comfortable.

4)  Last but not least, if you have Kuryakyn grips installed with the glue provided in the kit, good $%!*@& luck getting your left grip off the old bars undamaged.  I'm lucky mine is usable at all.  I will say that it took me a long time and a lot of elbow grease to remove that grip.  The metal frame of the grip is slightly wrong now, but only slightly.  There are a couple of marks from vice-grips too.  It's an ugly chore and I even used a strap wrench to help twist that $#^##@% thing.

Final result, well, here's a pic.

steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #6 - 06/04/06 at 21:30:02

Very nice rob. I just got a set of flat bars ( from a 88 ) myself. Mine came with the risers but no clamps. Anyone know if the stock clamps on my 96 will work with the old style risers?

Rob the nubs you mentioned I assume are to hold the switch housings from turning on the bars. How did you know where to drill the holes for them?

One more thing. The brake line, anyway of turning it so it dosen't get in the way. And if not, how far onto the bars can you actually get the throttle grip?

WWW   IP Logged
goodandevil
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/05/06 at 00:05:33

I will trade my stock s40 high risers for a savages no rise risers.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 06/05/06 at 03:04:49

[quote author=steelwolf link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1148071988;start=0#6 date=06/04/06 at 21:30:02]Very nice rob.
Anyone know if the stock clamps on my 96 will work with the old style risers?

Rob the nubs you mentioned I assume are to hold the switch housings from turning on the bars. How did you know where to drill the holes for them?

quote]

Yes, the clamps will fit.

File off the nubs from the housing, you dont need them. Do NOT drill in the handle bar.

Mine '93 has neither nubs nor holes and stay in place.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #9 - 06/05/06 at 03:51:56

Thanks, Kropatchek.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/05/06 at 05:36:47

I considered filing the nubs off but went ahead and drilled.  It'll be easy enough to fill the holes with JB Weld and file off the nubs if I decide to.

So far as the brake line goes, anytime you rotate the master cylinder position, it affects the postion of the brake lever and mirror.  However, I don't know if it would be a problem with the stock risers anyway..  I don't think they pull back like the set I used.

Overall, it's made me decide I like the feel of these but want a wider set.  I'll like the feel of that better and the master cylinder will be moved away from the riser.  I will probably need a new left grip when I do it though.

steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #11 - 06/05/06 at 20:35:35

Goodandevil, i sent you a pm.

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 06/06/06 at 07:59:55

As you can see I fitted the '86-'87 brake caliper. pump Bought for 9.99 usd brandnew at Anderson Vintage parts. They charged me 14.56 for shipping, big deal.

Together with the Indrude risers and "Superbike"steeringbar I have a near perfect riding position. Like to have the bar a little bit closer to me. Can't get hold of S40 risers so far.

Greetz
Kropatchek  8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 06/06/06 at 09:26:34

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Well Michael, I ordered that exact set.  They are very nice indeed.  
    I would point out that the risers interfere with it to the point that I may require aftermarket mirrors.  It barely manages to fit enough for the levers to be comfortable.

Final result, well, here's a pic.

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006%5C06%5C04%5Cbikepics-602967-full.jpg

l really like these rises a lot.  I have had them about 2 years and have yet to find another set I like more.  When mounted on the drag bar that I have everything is close to  be sure, but there is room for everything.  I have also been impressed with the quality of the risers, very good chrome and very sturdy.

IP Logged
Lil Em
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I bleed orange!

Riverdale, Utah
Reply #14 - 06/06/06 at 10:36:00

Hey Savage Rob.  Can you post a closer picture of the risers?  I'm thinking I want to get them myself for my 97'.  I'm only 5'0" nothing and want to make sure when installing my HD dragbars that the risers are suitable for me to reach.  

Thanks.

Emily

Riverdale Utah
1997 Suzuki Savage
http://www.bikepics.com/members/lilx11/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:28:33