Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Put on my Progressive shocks today (Read 357 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Put on my Progressive shocks today
Reply #45 - 10/25/05 at 16:45:07

Could be you old shocks were pretty beat and riding a little low while the new ones are still tight and need to settle a bit.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #46 - 10/25/05 at 17:49:40

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Could be you old shocks were pretty beat and riding a little low while the new ones are still tight and need to settle a bit.

It's possible but I don't think so.  The bike really has pretty low mileage and I checked the eye-to-eye measurement of the shocks after removing them and they were 10.5".  Unless the springs are just really wimpy in comparison the heavy-duty Progressives.  Again, this is just with the bike's frame weight, etc... no rider.  The new shocks raise it a lot.  I am happy with the feel and the ride though.  There are just some oddities to be dealt with.  They may settle a bit with a little more saddle time.  Well see.  Either way, I'm satisfied.  I just wanted to put the info out there for anyone considering these so they could make a more informed decision.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 10/25/05 at 17:54:40

SavageR:  You might have already said this but I couldn't find it - What did you put on your pipes?  Love the whole ensemble, btw.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #48 - 10/25/05 at 18:03:41

It's a flat black rattlecan paint that's supposed to be good to 2000F available at AutoZone.  I think it was called Flame-Proof or something similar... and thanks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #49 - 10/25/05 at 22:06:06

I hate to do such things in public as I always botch it up.

If we use the right triangle formula

A² + B² = C²

stock measurements

C =10.5"
A ~ 6 - 6.25" (let's use 6)

110.25 C² - 36 A² = 74.25 B²

B is 8.616" long stock

if we use a shock 12.5" long  C=12.5
156.25-36=120.25 and the sqrt is 10.96

10.96-8.616 = 2.34

Everything else being equal you should picked up
2.34 inch of lift, but since the shock is fixed the angle
changes as the swing goes down it also goes foward in relation to the top mount point and A becomes shorter,
how much so with 12.5" shock I do not know.

Maybe the stiffer springs make up the rest -

If this holds true a 11" shock should -
121-36=85 sqrt 9.21
9.21-8.616 = .60

So I should endup with a bit over a half inch of lift
and may close to 3/4 , I'll measure it before and after when they show up.

« Last Edit: 03/01/08 at 17:32:21 by Reelthing »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #50 - 10/26/05 at 05:47:22

I hate doing it in public for the same reason (especially since my Euclidean geometry is quite rusty) but here it goes...

I used the Pythagorean theorem too.  I didn't measure each leg as I knew both A and B would lengthen to some extent when the hypotenuse (C) was lengthened.  That said, I simply took the difference in the hypotenuse (2") and figured each of the legs would be 1" if it was a right Isosceles (A=B) triangle.  That would mean 1" of additional height.  Since I doubted A and B would be equal, I figured the additional height would be somewhere between 1" and 1.5".

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #51 - 10/26/05 at 06:00:30

The problem is A will shorten as C gets longer
because of the swing arm.  

I need a cup of coffee

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #52 - 10/26/05 at 06:15:16

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The problem is A will shorten as C gets longer
because of the swing arm.  

I need a cup of coffee

I took that into account by figuring up to 50% more lift (1.5" instead of the theoretical 1" if A and B had both lengthened equally) I think you're right about A shortening a bit but I still don't see how it's possible to pick up 2.34" in B when C was only increased by 2".

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #53 - 10/26/05 at 09:43:39

I have 13" Progressive's on my bike now, and the vertical "B" measurement is 11.5", with the horizontal component "C" being 7.5".  
This triangle is therefore 13x11.5x7.5

The angle mount of the shock, from vertical, is close to 30 deg, certainly not 45...which was my first consideration, but after checking I now know it is about 30.  
That being the case this is much closer to being a 3x4x5 triangle than an equalateral triangle.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #54 - 11/01/05 at 22:33:39

Ok, installed the 11" 90/130 shocks tonight
looks like it results in a 11/16 inch lift over the stock
shock in the 3rd preload setting with the Progressive in the 1st preload and 3/4 inch on the 2nd preload when measured like this .....  

Before the install from the lock to the red mark - about center of the axle measures dead on 11 inches

after the install the same measurement is 11 11/16

« Last Edit: 03/01/08 at 17:49:25 by Reelthing »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #55 - 11/02/05 at 05:24:52

Thanks for taking the time to do the before and after measurements.  I wish I had.  I guess the stock shocks must be quite a bit softer and compress more just from the bike than the replacements seem to.  Otherwise, the vertical increases we're getting don't makea lot of sense.  Oh well, I like my shocks a lot.  Keep us posted on how well the 11 inchers do for you.  I have a feeling the 11" or 11.5" are probably the best all-around choice for replacements to improve performance but keep a similar overall appearance.  The 12.5" work great but they do alter the look and feel of the bike somewhat.  No complaints on that score but I think it's important for others to note if they're considering the Progressive shocks.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #56 - 11/02/05 at 05:54:40

I have the preload set to the 2nd click - the 90/130's may be light - the 11" shocks only have about 2" of travel and on the 1st preload my 180lb arse used about 1/2 inch of that - so I went to the second click - packing the span wrench with me case i hit bottom on these back roads - I'll know by the end of the day - the bike stance changes a little but not much.

« Last Edit: 03/01/08 at 17:51:08 by Reelthing »  
  IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #57 - 11/02/05 at 08:21:21

Excellent post Reelthing, with good details. I think you have your shocks dialed in the best so far. I'm looking forward to your road test.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #58 - 11/02/05 at 20:12:55

There is a major difference in the way the bike handles in all cases - tight curves with a little twist on the throttle on the way out, flat road 45mph over less than ideal concret joints road patchs and such. as well as something i didn't expect in the least -75 mph highway speeds - at higher speed it feels far better planted.
It's not that the shocks jump through hoops or do tricks but they eliminate or greatly dampen undesireable bike movement.

The old shocks may have been flat worn out and for the most part  I was riding on springs getting a pogo stick effect far more than I thought as they did have 10 years and >22k miles on them.      

I never moved from the 2nd click on the pre-load as the only time they hit bottom was over a speed bump while sitting down, for my weight and the roads I ride the 90/130lb springs feel about right. Need some more ride time - think I'll spend a week on the 2nd before I try the 1st and 3rd pre-loads.

Really enjoyed day 1 with the Progressive 412-4232c installed and the fancy drilled rotor seems broken in - it's low carbon steel completely zinc plated so it took a few miles for the new pads to sand it down.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #59 - 11/03/05 at 07:14:16

I have to agree on all points (except the new disc - as I don't have one).  I would doubt it's mostly due to the old shocks being worn out unless that happens very quickly.  Though my bike was 7 years old, it had only 5,000 miles on it when I changed my shocks and I saw the same differences.  I now have 5,800 and still love the feel.  When it comes to improving the actual feel of the ride, the SuperBrace and the Progressive shocks have been the frontrunners.  In fact, I'm giving some thought to replacing the fork springs with Progressives at some future point.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:13:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Put on my Progressive shocks today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.