Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
white spacer and jetting (Read 48 times)
mike

white spacer and jetting
12/22/04 at 09:09:43

First I want to say thanks to everyone who has answered my many posts in the last few days. I am  new to the board and I really appreciate all of your  help. I am new to the Savage as well but I have a lot of experience with Vespas and other small engines. I just purchased a 2001 savage and I am getting ready to install a straight pipe (dont try to talk me out of it because I have made up my mind). The straight pipe would be most similar to the MAC slip on.  I have read post after post and it seems that there are 3 carb modifications that I can make:
1. drill out the plug and adjust the slow idle screw
2. remove the white spacer on the needle jet
3. change the main jet to 150, 152.5, or 155
From what I have read, it makes complete sense to dril out the plug and adjust the slow idle screw, as afterall it is adjustable and easy to change. My real question is, if you change the main jet to say a 155, then should you remove or modify the spacer. It seems here that most people do one or the other. I dont mind doing both, but It would be a real help to hear it from someone that has already had success or failure with it.

Thanks so much for everyones help
mike C

IP Logged
tekxtc
Ex Member

Re: white spacer and jetting
Reply #1 - 12/22/04 at 09:56:24

Good question.

I am planning to do things similar to yours to my bike over the winter. This one I missed. Lets see what people weigh in.

Autif

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #2 - 12/22/04 at 10:37:11

Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
It seems here that most people do one or the other. I dont mind doing both, but It would be a real help to hear it from someone that has already had success or failure with it.

Thanks so much for everyones help
mike C

I assume you have a good set of tools if you have wrenched on the scooters.
Here's what I would do.

1st, Go get a 155 jet.
Next, Pull the float bowl off the carb.
Loosen the clamp on the intake rubber and twist the carb to the side you are working from if you must.
Kick the bottom of the carb left and remover the left 2 screws then kick it right and do the right 2 screws.
You may wind up removing the carb and letting it hang.
Swap the 145 main jet for a 155.
I would start w/ the 155 1st.
Replace the crummy phillips head screws w/ allens.
Ride it.
If you test this in cold weather it may be rich come summer and a 152.5 my work better.

If it is still too lean then I would file the white nylon spacer 1st before removing it completely. Let me know if the 155 is 'fat', I have a spare 152
I posted some pictures and all the dimensions awhile back.
I have a Supertrapp w/ competition open end reverse megaphone and my next move is to swap the 157.5 for a 155. Greg and I both seemed too think the 157 is rich.
I was hoping to prevent blueing.
I have posted my experience building up a NOS carb last summer here. BTW; My Supertrapp is bluing (golding?) even w/ the fat jet in it, but the metallic-ceramic coated head pipe was fine. I pulled the batterylast week and she is parked 'til springtime as it is not insured December thru Feb. (Progressive)

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
MIKE

Reply #3 - 12/22/04 at 11:01:27

thanks tons, that is what I was hoping for. I think the jetting will do it but it is always nice to get a second opinion. As for the chrome, I could care less about blueing. I am going to paint my whole exhaust flat black with high temp paint. I love blacked out bikes like the Night train. I will post my pics and results for sure.

thanks
Mike

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 12/22/04 at 11:17:53

Essentially I agree with the above posting by Mr 650.  I did not need to twist the carb at all though I may have been lucky.  I accessed the float bowl screws with an offset phillips driver and was able to access the top set easily with the gas tank off.  When reassembling, I replaced all 8 with stainless allen screws for future ease.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/22/04 at 15:09:16

You should do BOTH mods. The main jet does not even start flowing fuel until 3/4 throttle and up.  The idle mixture screw mainly effects up to 1/4 throttle.  

The needle adjustment (spacer mod) effects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.  This will cover the whole rpm range.  Do a 1/2 spacer (if you take out the whole thing some here have said it actually dumps fuel at idle).

Actually, there are alot of other little jets and things in there, but these minor changes get you 95% of the way there and don't seem to effect the other circuits and are a good stopping point in my opinion.  I'll be finishing up these mods myself tommorrow and can let you know Monday how she runs !  I'm doing the 152.5 main by the way, seems a popular main with the Supertrapp crowd so I'll be ready for it by spring !

Mr 650, if you are still bluing, I doubt it has anything to do with the main, how often are you at 3/4 and up throttle?  It's the needle setting that is probably giving you this since that is where you are when you cruise the most.....unless you are plowing along at 80+ everywhere you go......hehehe.......... Grin

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/22/04 at 15:52:17

thats good advise. If you could post your results that would be fantastic. I have been researching this subject all day and I think that you are correct. I found this link that is very helpful.

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs2.htm

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/22/04 at 16:16:42

While were on the subject:
1. Does anyone know if one has to remove the tank or carb to do the white spacer trick or can one simply do the swivel trick?
2. Anyone have a picture of what it looks like inside the bore?

Thanks Again
Mike C

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/22/04 at 17:46:48

There's good carb pics on the technical section of this forum.  As far as swiveling the carb, on my S40 at least it can be done after the top of the carb is removed but it scratches the frame paint.  Without the top off it looks like it would be hard.  But I was doing my valve lash maintenance so the tank is off anyways.  I'd try and swivel it like the above directions but if you can't the tank is easy enough.  Once you do the tank once, you'll find it's a 10 minute job:  

Remove seat

remove rear bolts holding tank

unhook feul line and prime line from petcock on tank

unscrew speedo cable

pull back tank slightly to get at the one electrical connection and unhook it

pull tank off, back and to the left

you also might have another hose to disconnect to get to the top of the carb, can't remember why I disconnected it but you'll see

This is for the 05 S40, your results may vary but I doubt by much  Smiley

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #9 - 12/22/04 at 18:49:22

You will be amazed at the change in with your bike with the mods. I rejetted to a 152.5 main. dropped in a K+M high flow stock type air filter, pulled the white spacer and replaced it with 2 #4 washers and installed a sportster muffler. My '02 runs like a different bike with a lot more power. It's well worth it

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 12/23/04 at 00:36:48

Ed L.
Let me know how your Savage runs up top with the mods You have done, thanks.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/23/04 at 04:16:05

Ed L,

Can you give me the specifics on the Sportster muffler upgrade.  I might consider it considering they are everywhere and dirt cheap until I can save for a Supertrapp.

Rich

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 12/23/04 at 07:49:06

I can say mine's like a whole different bike too.  I have the MAC muffler, the stock type K&N air filter, a 155 main jet, and a Dynojet needle set at the 5th notch from the end with the white spacer installed (though I don't recommend buying the DJ kit because of the expense; you can get the same effect by thinning/replacing/eliminating the white spacer).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/23/04 at 10:12:04

One last question and I think that I will be on my way. Do I need a new gasket set before I attempt to removed the space and replcace the jets? Or are they rubber and re-usable.

Peace!
Mike

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 12/23/04 at 13:21:21

No gaskets needed for this.

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 07:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › white spacer and jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.