Send Topic Print
Kuryakyn grips (Read 41 times)
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Kuryakyn grips
08/23/04 at 06:30:13

To all or any who have put on Kuryakyn grips is the "Universal–1 inch" the one's I should order? If I remember right this is correct. Are they the same length as our grips now? I don't have any more room to give with the bars I have. I'm guessing the throttle sleeve just fits inside without a problem, at least I hope so.
Thanks.

Jen
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Kuryakyn grips
Reply #1 - 08/23/04 at 06:57:51

I have an additional question.  Does anyone know how much thicker they are than the original grips?  Or if you have the Kuryakyns and are willing, would you measure the circumference?  I can measure the original grips to compare.  I am interested in these but am worried they might be too big for me because my hands are "smaller than de average bear"...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 08/23/04 at 07:46:21

You will have throttle sleeve problems.

The Savage throttle sleeve has ridges running along it.  You will need to scrape, sand or file them down befire it will fit.  Not an unsurmountable job, since you're dealing with plastic.

OR you can do like I did and hammer it on with a rubber mallet.  Somehow the scrape, sand or file concept wasn't made clear to me before I decided the hammer was the tool for me.  Needless to say, my grips are going to be on there for a long time...

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 08/23/04 at 08:54:32

I took my throttle grip to a belt sander and removed the ridges...another option would be to find a set with a new throttle sleeve.

Got to be fast and accurate with that adhesive too.

I have the part number that I used and I'll post it later.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #4 - 08/23/04 at 09:09:51

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
another option would be to find a set with a new throttle sleeve.

Do they have a throttle sleeve that will work with our bike? Or do I get one from Suzuki?

Jen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/23/04 at 14:09:05

Here is the photo....

Now, these grips are wonderful...plain and simple.  They are comfy and being larger they are easier to grip.  You will never regret them over stock, plus they don't have that irritating (to me) end cap that is stationary.  The whole grip turns on the throttle.  If you forget your gloves for a short trip..."forget about it".  You don't need them for anything less than 100 miles in that case.

Plus, I believe that Kuryakyn makes a "Throttle Buddy" to take care of the cruise control issue and it bolts to this.

What I meant about the throttle tube is this.  The one in the Savage is used on other bikes too.  How do I know?  Because it is made for a push/pull cable arrangement (2 cables) but the Savage doesn't use both.  So, using my kind of inverse logic, I figure that there should be another tube for another bike for a 1" bar with the same internal cable turn that DOESN'T have the grooves that must be removed....

Anyway, this is the ones that I bought.  If you have a skilled friend with a belt sander, he can fix the grooves in just a few minutes.  If I did, so can he.

Just remember that you must follow the instructions with the adhesive.  Important!  If you stop moving before you get the grip where you want it...it will be where you don't want it.  That is some good adhesive and I have one grip that is about 1/16" in the wrong place Shocked)

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #6 - 08/23/04 at 14:16:37

Thanks Greg that helps. I do woodwork so using my belt sander should not be a problem. I will order some grips today.

Jen
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 08/23/04 at 14:22:38

Hey Jen, I was looking at these too.  On CruiserCustomizing they list KY-6235 as the right model number for Suzuki instead of 6240.  Don't know if that would make a difference or not but just thought I would mention it.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 08/23/04 at 14:38:14

There too is another interesting thing.  I bought mine over a year ago on the advice of someone else.  When I asked the dealer, he said there was no specific model for the Savage.  So, I stubbornly ordered these anyway.  They worked.

Now on the other hand, after 4 years I am noting more Savage specific stuff offered by after market companies...in '00 it was really scarce.

It is quite possible that either stuff that say was once "only for an Intruder" has been re-cataloged to show that it fitted the Savage all along, too.  OR the after-market companies are paying attention to this forum, and the many others like it, and producing more for our bikes.

I'd check both part numbers out.  I don't know if the other ones have the same style or not.  I do know that the rubber inserts on the ones shown above are hollow and act like pillows.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #9 - 08/23/04 at 17:58:22

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
...I'd check both part numbers out.  I don't know if the other ones have the same style or not.  I do know that the rubber inserts on the ones shown above are hollow and act like pillows.... Roll Eyes

The two do look the same on the outside with the comfy rubber inserts.  Whether what is on the inside is different I can't tell.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/24/04 at 02:00:52

Does your version come with a new throttle tube?  As the package says, mine were universal fit.  No tube.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #11 - 08/24/04 at 06:31:02

I'm calling Kuryakyn this morning and asking all the info. I'll let everyone know later.

Jen
  IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #12 - 08/24/04 at 06:45:47

OK, I just called them and the only one's we can use are the 6240. Actually if you go to the Kuryakyn site you will notice that on the 6235 our bike is not listed. Once again we must modify. I wouldn't know what to do if I had a bike that I could just bolt something onto Smiley I'm ordering some for two friends also, one has a Vulcan 750, the other is a Vulcan 500. I see a Kuryakyn night in the future.

Jen
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 08/24/04 at 06:51:57

Thanks for checking and sharing the information!  You saved me from ordering the wrong part.  On CruiserCustomizing I log in and then sort parts by what is supposed to fit the Savage.   Tongue  

I guess my mama was right when she said you can't believe everything you read.    Roll Eyes

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State