Jetting (Read 51 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Jetting
08/21/04 at 04:38:27

My mate used to race a 500/4 two stroke sidecar and in his jet kit he had jets from 300 to 450 in steps of 5 i.e. 300, 305,310, plus one for each cylinder, plus pilot jets and needles,makes you think doesn't it.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Jetting
Reply #1 - 08/21/04 at 04:48:55

I get to be the first to read and the first to reply  Grin

Think?  I think that I need to be a little leaner than the #160 I put in last week.  So today it goes down to a #157.5.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 08/21/04 at 06:02:06

I've been enjoying trying various combinations of main and main air jets this last two weeks (good fun) but am quite happy with low speed and needle position, I sorted that first. I think Your main air jet will be pressed in like it was on my standard carb, shame really as it increases the fun.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 08/21/04 at 06:30:06

If You could change your main air jet you could go down to a #150 main and go down a size on the main air jet to give the same mix up top but a little leaner earlier on, it would be interesting to try.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 08/22/04 at 18:33:30

I still have the stock air filter. I will be busy the next two weeks, but I should have a freshly coated head pipe by then. I plan to install the new head pipe, Supertrapp w/ all the spacers, fatten the main up w/ the 150 and do the spacer mod. I will report how it goes. I guess I should go make a base pass at test & tune and get a time slip, and then do the mods. I generally prefer a leaner set-up to a fatter one, but hate all the bluing on the stock exhaust. The coated head pipe should not blue and clear up that prob. I was planning to install a K&N replacement filter sometime too. I suspect it may need a 152 main jet for that and have not tracked one  down yet. I have seen pictures of the Supertrapp installed on a stock bike and it blued same as a stock pipe and a K&N should lean it back out so I don't want to mess-up the new Supertrapp.
Some folks like the psychedelic colors, but I like it to look new.

OH yeah, you guys w/ the brand new 650s consider that your pipe will start to blue soon w/ the stock jetting, so re-jet now.

If the coating place does a good job of polishing the head pipe, I have another  blued but complete exhaust and access to tools to attempt to do the "hartman modification" to a factory muffler this winter. If the mods  turn out good, I could have both the head pipe & modified muffler both coated to match. I be honest the Supertrapp likely works better, but a stock system with the hartman mod., and fresh silver coating will look and run better  than an oxidized system and Tumi says it sounds great. Tongue

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/23/04 at 02:20:06

I ran a #155 for a long time and thought that I was slightly lean still.  I ran a #160 all last week, and I was clearly a little rich.  Yesterday I put in the #157.5, so we'll see how this work week goes.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 08/23/04 at 06:03:06

Nice one Greg, hope it works well for Ya.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 08/23/04 at 08:50:21

Seems to be better.  Unfortunately my ride to/from work is so short that I don't get a real trial.  By the end of the week, Ill have a better idea.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #8 - 08/23/04 at 22:12:58

Thanks for the update.
BTW; have you ever run the flat replacement K&N filter in your bike(s)?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 08/24/04 at 02:17:12

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thanks for the update.
BTW; have you ever run the flat replacement K&N filter in your bike(s)?

No, I haven't.  My spouse's is still stock and mine is a pod.

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #10 - 08/24/04 at 11:54:09

let us revisit the jet size necessary for my bike, if you don't mind.

my friend (detail oriented type  Roll Eyes )is very leary of shadetree type mechanics so wants to know if the size recommendation for my bike/pipe combo is backed up with dyno runs before he helps me replace the jet. you all recommended a #152.5...

my bike:
all stock save for the pipe, a jardine, with blueing.
i did the airscrew adjustment two months ago.

yeah the backfiring is back but in an intermittant way, and it doesn't bother me.
damaging the pipe does bother me.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 08/24/04 at 14:31:16

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
let us revisit the jet size necessary for my bike, if you don't mind.

my friend (detail oriented type  Roll Eyes )is very leary of shadetree type mechanics so wants to know if the size recommendation for my bike/pipe combo is backed up with dyno runs before he helps me replace the jet. you all recommended a #152.5...

my bike:
all stock save for the pipe, a jardine, with blueing.
i did the airscrew adjustment two months ago.

yeah the backfiring is back but in an intermittant way, and it doesn't bother me.
damaging the pipe does bother me.

Well, in this case, your friend will be very leary of me, because I am a 100% shade tree mechanic.  I've been meaning to buy a dyno and set it up in the basement, but funds were tight so I opted to buy every single jet size from 147.5 to 160 and go out under the shade tree.  

That means that without anything more than experience and trial and error I found a combination that works.  That may not be good enough for your friend, so the gamble is all yours.  You take my word for it, spend $4 on the jet and and he does 30 minutes labor.

Besides, it's already too late if your Jardine is blued, but you can still fix the intermittent backfire.

Is your friend even a shade tree mechanic?  8)

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/24/04 at 14:45:11

This is my rejetting experince. I use a K&N clamp on filter. A straight thru drag pipe. Removed the white spacer. When I did these changes my Savage ran ok at low rpms. When accelerating it would sputter at higher rpms. The previous owner had drilled out the stock 135 main jet on this 98 Savage. What he drilled it out to I can't say. He did this because he had used a slip on aftermarket muffler. I then drilled out the main jet with a 1/16 drill bit. Bike ran great at all rpms. However at another Savage forum I got blasted for using such a rich jet. So I bought a 160 and 165 jet. I put in the 160 and it ran the same as the 1/16 drilled out jet. Just my experience.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 08/24/04 at 14:47:08

Gargoyle wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
This is my rejetting experince. I use a K&N clamp on filter. A straight thru drag pipe. Removed the white spacer. When I did these changes my Savage ran ok at low rpms. When accelerating it would sputter at higher rpms. The previous owner had drilled out the stock 135 main jet on this 98 Savage. What he drilled it out to I can't say. He did this because he had used a slip on aftermarket muffler. I then drilled out the main jet with a 1/16 drill bit. Bike ran great at all rpms. However at another Savage forum I got blasted for using such a rich jet. So I bought a 160 and 165 jet. I put in the 160 and it ran the same as the 1/16 drilled out jet. Just my experience.

I remember this  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 08/24/04 at 14:52:30

Actually with my polished intake, Raask and K&N pod, I think that 160 was too rich for me.  So I just went down to a 157.5 but haven't driven but a couple days so far.  Time will tell.

Shade Tree Rice Rocks the Cas Bah  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 00:39:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.